Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Garage
2001 E350 EB - Full Build

Hello SMBers,

I am back at it and have found my next project. After selling my SMB last summer and regretting it, I have been looking for the right van ever sense. After having way too many vans in the past and selling them for various reasons. I have realized that MY van is not out there, so I am going to do a full custom interior build to suit my needs.

I found my "new" van down in New Mexico. It is a 2001 E350 EB Cargo with 60K miles and the 7.3L.

The plan is to add a hightop and do a full interior buildout. Then the 4x4 conversion will happen, hopefully this fall or winter.

Here is a now picture and there will be updates as projects happen. If all goes well, it will be camp-able in the next couple months. That way I can sell my current VW camper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0023.jpg  

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You bought the correct chassis and body---if the 7.3 is your engine of choice you did very well IMHO.

I recently acquired an '05 E350 extended body, 5.4 motor, was/is technically a Club Wagon but modified with the raised roof, extended height rear door and a wheel chair lift (since removed & discarded). Having had E250's previously I love the E350 much more.

I did add Hellwig super heavy duty front and rear sway bars. Next up will be Bilstein shocks for short wheel base motorhomes built on the E-Series chassis. They're already here, just need time and weather to swap them in.

Hope to see your build as it progresses!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

Great score! Can't wait to hear more about the details of which high top and what interior floor plan you have in mind.
I just ordered a Tufport high top from Delta BC (kinda near ya), so we'll see how that one works out.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
MSD

Garage
Congrats and nice find, looking forward to the build thread!
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
It is a 2001 E350 EB Cargo with 60K miles and the 7.3L.
Nice find. I am in awe of how people keep finding low mile 7.3's that aren't completely trashed in every other sense. Almost every low mileage one I found were complete rust buckets or damaged in some other way. Or priced so high it was laughable.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Nice find. I am in awe of how people keep finding low mile 7.3's that aren't completely trashed in every other sense. Almost every low mileage one I found were complete rust buckets or damaged in some other way. Or priced so high it was laughable.
Well, I was looking daily for months and I did have to pay for this van... I don't believe I over paid but I probably paid a "Retail Dealer" price. Unfortunately the transmission promptly took a crap on me, so I get it back tomorrow with a fully rebuilt transmission with all of the possible upgrades.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Garage
My first part showed up! Thanks 1der!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0174.jpg  

Old 05-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
My first part showed up! Thanks 1der!!!
If you're not already personally acquainted with the Door Talon/Claw you'll love it---I couldn't live without one myself!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

I did add Hellwig super heavy duty front and rear sway bars. Next up will be Bilstein shocks for short wheel base motorhomes built on the E-Series chassis. They're already here, just need time and weather to swap them in.
Very interested in what you think about the swaybars and the motorhome Bilsteins...... So you've got the 1.5" dia Hellwig? I think Mountainbikeroamer tried some of the motorhome valved Bilsteins but found them too stiff/harsh...

Let us know you thoughts on these....does the rear swaybar hang below the axle? Is the improvement already very noticable?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Very interested in what you think about the swaybars and the motorhome Bilsteins...... So you've got the 1.5" dia Hellwig? I think Mountainbikeroamer tried some of the motorhome valved Bilsteins but found them too stiff/harsh...

Let us know you thoughts on these....does the rear swaybar hang below the axle? Is the improvement already very noticable?
I do indeed have both front and rear Hellwig bars installed, maybe 500 or so miles driving with them. I can say categorically any E-Series with a rear sway is noticeably improved first drive. I've not yet had time to install the Bilstein's but that's coming up soon.

Ride-wise I'm never sure how to answer that as its too subjective to the driver. Personally I'm far more concerned with safe and under-control the ride is, much more so over any "comfort". Do keep in mind all my miles are strictly paved roads and highways.

My E350 EB formerly Club Wagon now fully gutted is a bit stiff but once its refitted with about 2K additional weight it will be much less "bouncy" over the Ohio roads. Between the Hellwig bars and Bilstein shocks I'm confident the ride will still be "firm" which is what I'm after. Michelin LTX's E-rated 245 tires @70 psi front and rear will help too.

UPDATE: Here's two links to albums on Imgur

https://imgur.com/a/3YP4bUA

https://imgur.com/a/8YKKEG2

If any additional info, views or measurements are wanted please let me know.