Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanrich View Post
Yes, we did a complete mock up with Home Depot DF 2x2 wood. I ripped each on a table saw to be 30mm x 30 mm so it would match the 3030 aluminum extrusion. Wood was cheap and experimental, the 3030 expensive and not as easy to use for mock up.
A great investment of your time money to make sure that the layout works for you, and that your interior will fit that way you want it to.

Herb

Old 06-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Very nice, planing on a do over next year and debating between the new to me 8020 Alum v/s the known to me cabinet 1” x 2”, pockets screws and bamboo tops.

Was the Alum easier? What would you guesstimate the total cost of the Alum extrusions and connectors

Again, very nice skills !
Alum is easy to work with but caution required when cutting. Must use a metal saw blade and make cuts slowly and fully clamped. Alum extrusion and brackets are expensive, especially the various corner brackets. You would have to obtain current cost to accurately determine your build requirements.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #23
Site Team

I just took a closer look at your photos. Great job. I really like your use of the quarter round 8020, as well as the flat-face 8020.

How did you decide that the 30mm x 30mm extrusion size was the right choice?

Herb
Old 06-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #24

The 15 series 8020 which is 1.5 by 1.5 inches was too thick for my cabinet sizes. I replaced all the Sportsmobile cabinetry while maintaining the EB-50 floorplan spacing. I still wanted the Sportsmobile look and design clues even though I was interested in modernizing the look and utility. I would not have been able to replace all the cabinetry with anything larger then the 8020 30x30 mm extrusion. The smaller 20mm x 20mm or 10 series looked too small, while the majority of VAN conversions using 8020 have used the larger sized series 15 8020. I literally had clearance issues down to millimeters, and by using the 30mm x 30mm extrusion everything fit. The larger sized extrusions would not have worked for me without compromising cabinet locations and storage. I am very satisfied with the 30mm x 30mm stuff. I was able to duplicate all of the Sportsmobile EB-50 floorplan, storage and cabinet locations and add utility and storage by building out the passenger side galley.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #25

Again Bravo !
And thanks of sharing and all the info!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 PM   #26

Garage
An amazing renovation for sure! Simply love the relocated and larger sink along with the new door cabinet and stove top. You certainly managed to keep everything I like about the "50" layout and fixed a few of the shortcomings. Thanks for sharing an inspiring interior update.

-Steve-
Old 02-20-2023, 07:11 PM   #27

This looks incredible! We are debating putting a cabinet in that location vs. a door cabinet. You get more storage but do give up some room to move in the front of the van. Also, when the seat isn't swiveled that one barn door is a fairly small opening to get through.

I would love to know what you think now that you have had it for a while.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #28

I have no idea how I missed this up to now but glad I found it. Superb job Stan! I'm doing butcher block counter top on my build and can't wait to get it in there. I'll have to show my wife how great it looks in your pics.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 conversion, eb-50, interior finish, remodel