Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2024, 07:28 AM   #1

AUX Fuel tank port fittings on Econoline

Just wanted to throw this out as an FYI since I couldn't find definitive info anywhere.

I installed the plumbing for my diesel heater yesterday tapping into the OEM aux fuel port on my 2006 E350 Diesel.

How do you know you have an aux fuel port?
-Look at the top of the fuel tank where the sending unit is. There will be one little black cap on an unused line.
-You can also check your window sticker if you still have it or search for the options on your van by VIN.

How do you connect to it?
-Use a 1/4" push connect fuel line with your choice of barb on the exit end. I used 1/4" push connect to 1/8" barbed for my diesel heater. The best fittings for my year is a straight fitting, not a 90 degree.

How do you get to it?
-Maybe if you have elf hands and the patience of a saint you can get to it without dropping the tank. I do not have either of those qualities.
-Support the tank with a transmission jack. Can be pretty full since you are not dropping it all the way. I put two 2 foot 2x4s on top of my jack to distribute the load.
-Remove both straps, disconnect the fuel pump sending unit wiring, the fill line, and the vent line. Fuel lines can stay connected.
-Drop the tank down about 8", that was enough for me to have plenty of access.
-Installation is reverse of removal as they say. Get the fuel fill and vent and wiring reconnected before bringing the tank all the way up.
-I had to loosen my straps and shift the tank close to the frame to get the fill and vent fully connected.

Happy trails!

Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:19 PM   #2

FYI this is the fitting if you have the aux port in your sending unit (for my 2011 so probably 08+). If not you can buy them aftermarket or pop for the Motorcraft unit.

This is the fuel pump assembly with aux port I got for the 2011 Flex fuel
DELPHI FG1479 (Daily Driver) Module Assembly (Rock Auto)

I bought a

2011 Genuine Ford Auxiliary Outlet 9C2Z-9B210-A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403446441012

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...z-9b210-a.html
posplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:20 PM   #3

The 90 degree OEM fittings are for the later vans that have vertical outlets on the fuel tanks. On a 2006 the fuel tank outlets already have a 90 degree bend on the sending unit side, so you need a straight fitting to connect to it or the routing is going to be all screwy. I have not seen an OEM part number for a 1/4" push connect to straight barbed fitting that would be applicable in my 2006 van.

For a diesel heater, the bigger fittings would have also needed a reducer. The 1/4" push lock to 1/8" barbed was a perfect match.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:02 PM   #4

Pics would be great. My 46 gallon tank is a bear to drop just to check and find out their is none.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:43 AM   #5

You can see the aux fitting without dropping the fuel tank. Stick your melon up between the body of the van and the outside of the framerail to the LH side of the fuel filler (toward rear tire)
Look where the fuel and vent lines enter the tank, if you have an aux connection you will see a capped off line that goes to nowhere.

Easy button is to check your VIN and see if the aux fuel tap was an option.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #6

Two questions:

How do you get the black cap off the unused port?

Do you have a part number for the snap to connect 1/4 to 1/8 straight fitting.

I’m in the process of installing a similar heater in my 2006 6.0 PSD van.

I appreciate any help.
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:04 PM   #7

Getting the black cap off
-I had to drop my tank down part way to get both hands up there, then you squeeze the little "squares" in and at the same time pull the cap off the unused port. Once the cap is off, there is a plastic lock tab that can be split open and pulled off the tube.

Fitting
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Connect...s%2C103&sr=8-1
Old 02-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #8

Thank you Big Ern.
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:09 PM   #9

Thanks, I have a diesel heater to install and was curious if it was an option on the Fords. When I get mine on the lift I'll take a look.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:09 PM   #10

If you're truly lazy like me and don't want to drop the fuel tank, you may be able to get away with using a pair of longnose spark plug boot pliers like this.

This was on a later (2011) van with the vertical outlet; the screwdriver was used to pry the ears of the yellow locking piece out of the way, then to pry the plug upwards (between the yellow and black in the photo below) while depressing the lock tabs with the pliers.

Once I had it out and could see what the yellow piece actually looks like, I think you're supposed to just slide it outwards?