Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #31

The last item on the internal fit-out was a refrigerator. I initially tried a cool box but that was a nonstarter.
Looking at my layout and the space available I decided on an Ausranvik 26 quart unit. It fitted under the bed on a slide, was top-loading, and had good reviews on Amazon.
It is well-shaped internally, even carrying a gallon on milk. and allows me to carry about 4 days of food in the fridge.
power use id low and even in 100-degree temps in Miami it has performed well. The solar has no problem keeping up with consumption, I run it on 12 volts but it can run on 110 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190309_143400462.jpg   IMG_20190309_143337029.jpg  

asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #32

Although the bed was usable, the one thing that is not great in the Econoline is the curving walls. After I had installed the bed which was 5 feet deep and 5 feet 10 inches at the top of the 4-inch memory mattress I decided that was not enough.
So, I added an extension that slots in on the kitchen side and over on the wardrobe side. I added ana additional fold-down support for extra strength.
This gives a small bench, and with the offcut modified from the king-size mattress, it turns the bed into a king with a small notch for the wardrobe. It is easy to make up and no issue storing on top of the bed when not in use.
The luxury of a full stretch, now 6feet 6 inches long and 5 feet wide. Just like home,
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG5654.jpg   CIMG5655.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #33

The technology section of my build was to reuse what I had if possible and keep all the items multi-functional.
I added a small yet very impressive magnetic mounted tv antenna, it stays inside until required and I added a slide mount to the inside of the wardrobe to carry a 32 inch LED tv. I don't always carry it but it stores easily.
Dash media is achieved by an 8-inch tablet, linked to my cell phone giving me music through the built-in aux port and nav.
Systems are checked using a scangauge, these are very useful, I use mine as a speedo being my dash is metric.
I also have a front and rear dash camera and have the back set as my rearview mirror. It has a split-screen facility and auto selects as a backup when in reverse.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG5639.jpg   CIMG5641.jpg  
Old 07-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #34

After considering the lack of outside visibility when parked and the fact that doors are easily opened due to basic lock security I decided to add a series of additional locks. The first was the back doors where I added a custom made hasp with a D ring clip, it stops the doors being opened. The sliding door was held in place by a D ring and a webbing strap with a screw-down shackle. I added the same to both front doors. The items are added quickly and can be removed as fast for escaper if needed. My idea is to use the passenger side when parking leaving only the driver's door on the central locking.
I thought abought making deadbolts but was worried they might fail and leave me stranded outside.
When we park overnight we activate the straps and switch on the 4 camera system.
I located the front camera in the front grille, rear above the tow receiver, and the 2 side ones onto the plastic light surround. The results are acceptable. I had looked at a recorder system but went with this more basic version.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG5664 (2).jpg   IMG_20200407_155515089 (2).jpg   CIMG5666 (2).jpg   IMG_20200407_155619379_MP.jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #35

While most of our van use does not require heat,there are the odd occasions when it is nice.
I looked at options as we all do and decided to go for the nock off diesel heater. I chose one rated at 5 kW and with a full aluminum shell.
The placement was then the next consideration and after looking at possible locations I decided to mount it externally under the van. The location was driverside in a nice open section behind the door. The next thought was how weatherproof is this unit, to that end I made a steel frame and a surrounding box. I made the bottom able to be dismounted quickly and that the heater would be mounted to that. I cut 2 holes into the van, one the air return was located within the kitchen unit kick space, it is open into the garage area to allow for air volume and circulation, the register was located on the floor behind the driver's seat. I added metal tube to take up the space between the mounting frame and the van floor as I wanted a sealed install. I insulated around the ducts and the unit itself. The exhaust runs back along the frame rail far enough away from the fuel tank and the intake was routed through a section of pipe as I was not keen on the paper tube and mounted behind a frame plate to protect it from water.
The diesel feed line was run through split plastic cable trunking to the pump and the tank was placed within the garage.
It is very efficient and heats the space well and quickly. It is nice to have the controller near the bed for the early morning application.
I added some heating registers into the garage to living doors so I could heat that space if needed or close it off when not.
Attached Thumbnails
heater pump.jpg   heater box (2).jpg   heater tank (2).jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #36

Well, that concludes my van build-out, I hope you have found it interesting.

Our use is more stealth than the desert, but who knows with more capable tires. We have traveled over 30000kms since it was completed, it was a build using readily available construction materials and where possible recycled parts. It was a 6-week build-out and we hope to use it to see more fantastic places and meet interesting people.

My only current decision/ upgrade is a change of tires.

Thanks for looking.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #37

Garage
Have to say asgard that I've enjoyed following along. There is just one person you have to satisfy, and that's yourself - believe you've accomplished that. Safe travels!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #38

You are correct. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #39

Yep... good stuff asgard. Thanks for sharing.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #40

Garage
Yes, good stuff and thanks for taking us along.