Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #41

Re: Clifford - 1998 E350 Build

Yeah, after more research, definitely going to connect them. Probably just with a switch for now.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #42

A switch works. The only downside to a switch is running down both your house and starting batteries when camping if you forget to disconnect them. A separator automatically prevents draining the starting battery by accident.

Surepower separators are cheap.......and they come in uni-directional and bi directional models. With the unidirectional ones, the solar will only charge the house batts.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #43
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Nice looking work so far----these things can take up a lot of time but in the end well worth it.

Just a question about the battery being placed inside the cabin---shouldn't it be sealed off and/or vented to the outside for control of its out gassing?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Nice looking work so far----these things can take up a lot of time but in the end well worth it.

Just a question about the battery being placed inside the cabin---shouldn't it be sealed off and/or vented to the outside for control of its out gassing?
Absolutely it should be vented. At first I was planning on putting two batteries under the car, but for ease of maintenance I think I am going to put them right infront of the left wheel well.

In the next week or so I am planning on building a battery box and venting it outside.

Any ideas on a good, small, black vent?

For now I make sure to have plenty of ventilation in the van whenever the batteries are charging, which is pretty minimal at the moment since they are only powering LED's inside the van.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #45

You probably already figured this out, but if you use AGM batteries you don't have the venting issue. You can also mount them on their sides if you want; they are completely sealed. Stick 'em where you want inside or outside.

Instead of buying another 100ah wet cell, consider an AGM to replace the battery that you have, or if you have the $$ buy two AGMs and sell the wet cell.

There is a place in San Diego that sells 175ah AGMs for $125. They are branded Alcatel-Lucent. He will deliver for free if you buy a few or if you need one and his is up your way. This is a very good price for an AGM with 175 ah capacity. These batteries weight 105 lbs each.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/eld/4978309020.html

http://www.619battery.com

I have two in my van, the neighbor has 4 for his RV, and a few other folks here have bought the same battery. They may be cosmetic blems but who cares, it's a battery.
2003 Honda Element
Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
You probably already figured this out, but if you use AGM batteries you don't have the venting issue. You can also mount them on their sides if you want; they are completely sealed. Stick 'em where you want inside or outside.

Instead of buying another 100ah wet cell, consider an AGM to replace the battery that you have, or if you have the $$ buy two AGMs and sell the wet cell.

There is a place in San Diego that sells 175ah AGMs for $125. They are branded Alcatel-Lucent. He will deliver for free if you buy a few or if you need one and his is up your way. This is a very good price for an AGM with 175 ah capacity. These batteries weight 105 lbs each.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/eld/4978309020.html

http://www.619battery.com

I have two in my van, the neighbor has 4 for his RV, and a few other folks here have bought the same battery. They may be cosmetic blems but who cares, it's a battery.
Dang, what a price! Definitely going to get one of those and ditch the wet cell. The cost/effort of a battery box and venting makes this an easy decision. I was avoiding AGM's for the cost. If you haven't noticed, I am trying to do this build somewhat low cost in the beginning.

Thanks for the tip, nice to have such a knowledgeable person so close geographically.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt

The cost/effort of a battery box and venting makes this an easy decision.
exactly......
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #48

Man it's been a while. Pressing hard to get the van read for my burning man adventure that starts next friday. I'll have a full update with pics after that.

But in the meantime, I am installing a 10 gallon water tank to use for showering. It will be on it's side, so the input valve is about 12" off the floor of the van. What is the recommended elevation of the fill port that I am mounting to the side of my van?

I obviously want it to be above the top of the tank, but by how much? I want to keep the port as low as possible. will just a couple inches provide enough of a height difference to get teh water flowing correctly? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt
Man it's been a while. Pressing hard to get the van read for my burning man adventure that starts next friday. I'll have a full update with pics after that.

But in the meantime, I am installing a 10 gallon water tank to use for showering. It will be on it's side, so the input valve is about 12" off the floor of the van. What is the recommended elevation of the fill port that I am mounting to the side of my van?

I obviously want it to be above the top of the tank, but by how much? I want to keep the port as low as possible. will just a couple inches provide enough of a height difference to get teh water flowing correctly? Thanks!
Not sure that it needs to be above the tank. The pressure from the water hose will fill the tank from below. Add a one-way valve and you are good. If you wanted a secondary fill location for gravity fed water, then that would need to be above the top of the tank by only just so.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #50

Long over due update. Also kind of a travel log, but hey, it's why we have the van in the first place right? So here are some pitures, and you'll see the van evolve into what it is today.

You'll see in future pictures that I have cut two 4" ports on the rear of the van. The main purpose was to allow the use of a swamp cooler I made. Mainly for Burning Man, but I have actually used it quite a few times.

Here it is on my buddies ranch.

Being chased by my buddies short school bus up the trail

Went and did some dispersed camping up in Big Sur. Definitely a must see spot in my mind. I am sure most of you California people are well versed on this spot, but it was spectacular up there. We took the Naciemento Fergusson road about 12 miles to a lookout spot.

Jerry-rigged shower

View aint half bad

Which in turn creates an awesome sunset