Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #21

If it were me and I really wanted a top, I would make a point to visit in person, even it if required taking a long road trip. Not everyone can do this, but a face to face meeting is always best. Perhaps hire one of the local members and have him visit on your behalf. In the boat business, when building or repairing a commercial vessel, owners representatives are common.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #22

Thank you Arctic, but if it is such a challenge to do business with a company that I have to hire a local person or drive 12 hours to see them in person I will simply settle for a penthouse or wait for MG Metalworks to come up with their option. As i mentioned in the OP, I have not given up. I just wanted to see if what seemed to me to be unusual lack of response was typical or indeed unusual. From the posts here it seems to be quite usual lately since certain staff has left. I will continue to try to reach them via phone. I have also requested the assistance of another member who has a van there now to see if that will facilitate a response on my calls and or emails. Thanks!
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #23

I'll add to what others have said. Poor communication. Acceptable build. Poor communication. Great product

We've got one of the earlier "John Boat" high tops, I think REF was a few weeks before us. Absolutely love the top, paid a lot less then, and was hard to get answers to questions at the time. Derek has never been a great businessman. He's just built a better product at the right time.

One of these days he may get it all together, there is a reason a large number of small businesses fail. You e got to learn to let some things go and hire help.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
....or wait for MG Metalworks to come up with their option...
FYI... I was just working on the design earlier this week as a matter of fact. I was able to obtain CAD models of the E-series roof(s) (EB and RB) and it has been a huge help for finalizing the shape of the top. When I can (meaning when I'm not working on the Transit 4x4 design), I try to put a few moments into this product. I have a hard deadline for a customer build coming up so it has to happen.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #25

MG Id be glad to be at the front of the line for that one. As long as its in the same financial ball park.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #26

Darkstar have you noticed that CCV has moved into a decidedly higher ticket ballpark?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #27

MG<

Sorry..

i may have duplicate responded to you in PM.

NOOB spaz
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #28

Steelhead,

Based upon the fact that I have not needed their service. and they dont return calls or emails as of yet, i have nothing to reference it with as far as previous pricing.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Darkstar have you noticed that CCV has moved into a decidedly higher ticket ballpark?
I thought I remembered the price being in the $8k range when I looked last, but I could be remembering wrong. No way will I be spending the $12.3k they have listed on their website now. The price obviously isn't "too" high if they are still back logged, but there is no way I can justify spending that much.
Fork-N-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
... there is no way I can justify spending that much.
I'll bet this is why the factory high roof conversion van is gaining so much popularity. The functional tradeoffs are close enough that long threads get devoted to discussing them -- and yet the costs are substantially cheaper.