Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2023, 08:53 PM   #1

DIY PopTop/HighTop options?

What suppliers are out there for a E350 roof replacement?

I have found:

https://www.coloradocampervan.com/
Anyone know if their price is installed? $17k is a pretty big pill to swallow....

fiberine.com/GVMR/Home.html

https://tufport.com/van-tops/

I know there are more out there, appreciate any advice, Thanks!

kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:10 AM   #2

That's pretty much the current list. A few years back and there were some smaller names in the game, but most have gotten out. I'm not even positive Fiberine will let you DIY anymore either, but you can drive to their place and they will put it on for you.

Yes, the CCV top is dramatically more expensive than a fixed high top. DIY only saves you ~$2k IIRC.

Edit: you can usually find a used SMB top somewhere in the country at any given point in time.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 AM   #3

kbeefy - where are you located?
Old 07-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #4

There is also Field Van and SMB but they don't have the hightop, just a poptop. They are in the same ballpark as CCV once you add things like electric lift and the bed.

I looked into doing the CCV as a DIY. You only save 10% off the normal price, which does include the labor to install. But then you also pay the shipping/freight. It was going to be about $2200 to ship one to the east coast. It was $2600 for 2. So it's really only worth it if you can pick up yourself, don't want to drive to Colorado, or you know of someone else in your area that wants one.

I live near OK4WD which does a lot of overland vehicles in NJ. A part of me wants to see if we can coordinate a CCV group buy and have them shipped to and installed by OK4WD. But again, I'm not sure if there would be any savings as you're paying local labor on top of the labor built into the initial cost of the CCV top.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
kbeefy - where are you located?

Near Spokane, WA
Old 07-27-2023, 10:44 PM   #6

Yeah for a poptop Field Van is great. For a TufPort you can get it at Wasatch Overland in SLC and they have some interior finishing options. You are closer to the factory but they only do raw finish or a fiberglass gelcoat with very minimal insulation.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
Yeah for a poptop Field Van is great. For a TufPort you can get it at Wasatch Overland in SLC and they have some interior finishing options. You are closer to the factory but they only do raw finish or a fiberglass gelcoat with very minimal insulation.

Thanks!

Ran a business in Bend for a while, I like the area but the political climate has taken a turn for the worse. Lived in La Pine for 6 years (2015-2021)
Old 07-28-2023, 12:23 AM   #8

I would recommend the Fiberine if you choose to go with a fiberglass high-top. It is a much better design. It uses a flange to attach to the metal van roof. The flange is on the inside of the top and the screws are then inside also. Only caulk is used to make the watertight seal.
Mine, which is of the bad design, was originally attached with screws and an aluminum strip with vinyl covering it. Water gets trapped in the aluminum channel and wicks down the screws and rusts the remaining edge of the roof over time. On Fiberine fiberglass tops the design is different and uses a flange. None of the attachments are exposed to the elements and the rust is prevented.
antmanbee is offline   Reply With Quote