Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #491

Re: Hal The Van

AS Hal is a low roof van like mine figured i'd take this shameless opportunity to get subscribed to your updates .

BUT, What height are you making your sink? I am playing around with some different altitudes on mine because without the high roof and my 6'1" stature when I wedged my cabinet unit in there using the sink was an awkward experience. Had to bend over funny, I almost though about bringing it down two feet and sit down to use the sink...

Elfmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #492
Site Team

I think I've found the escape pod from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Definitely more of a road going trailer, but cool for it's shape.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... 0-Colorado

Herb
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #493

@Gnarvan My favorite "gem" of his is:

"In using the basement day to day I've found the opening isn't large enough to easily allow the passage of a body. Sorry did I say body. I meant sack of potatoes. Yeah, a sack of potatoes. And it's even harder if that sack of potatoes is struggling."

Caveat: I'm unaware of the origin of this, well, "gem", but it would make a great first line in a novel. If you are the originator, Mr.WVvan, then the whole of this thread indicates that you are certainly writerly. Just a thought
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #494

It would make a great conversation starter at a Border Crossing too……

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #495
Site Team

@Gnarvan
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. You're right that I do spend a lot of time thinking about how to do the conversion. And I do a mean A LOT.

@Elfmaze
The countertop height is 32 - 1/4". Didn't mention it in the write-up but even though I built the kitchen cabinet for standing the height also works well when I'm sitting on the sofa-bed.

@BroncoHauler
It looks like a spacecraft all right but I'm leaning towards George Jetson's .

@twogone
The quote is all mine. Never sure if people will get the joke or think I'm serious. Thanks for the compliment.

@BIGVAN
I've already accepted the fact that with the basement installed Hal's not going to making it across any borders without extra scrutiny. I'm not worried though. Once they get me talking about the van (Well I had to move the charcoal cannister... There's an extra fuel tank here ... No I built it from scratch... There's a microcontroller... This is where I installed the...) within 10 to 15 minutes it will be like, "No I don't want to hear about the heating system. Would you please JUST GO!".

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
@Gnarvan My favorite "gem" of his is:

"In using the basement day to day I've found the opening isn't large enough to easily allow the passage of a body. Sorry did I say body. I meant sack of potatoes. Yeah, a sack of potatoes. And it's even harder if that sack of potatoes is struggling."

Caveat: I'm unaware of the origin of this, well, "gem", but it would make a great first line in a novel. If you are the originator, Mr.WVvan, then the whole of this thread indicates that you are certainly writerly. Just a thought
I found this funny the first time I read it but now that you put it that way Marc its really funny..Thanks

WVvan thanks for all of your posts, although reading all of them does prevent me from getting out and working on my van sometimes. Maybe Someday I will have to post up all of the things I have done to it, someday maybe.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #497
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post #12

If I'm clearing out a big section of floor and sweeping it real clean, it can only mean one thing.

Formica!

Position all the doors, cover panels and countertop on the sheet of Formica and mark out the cut lines.

After cutting.

Use the same method as I used when covering the sofa-bed except the contact cement now comes in gel form.

Do one side and let it set up.

After applying the contact cement to the end covering panel I realized I'd forgotten to make cut-outs for the drop leaf drawer hardware. That should be done before laminating. So let the cement completely dry then made two cut-outs with the help of a drill and jigsaw.

This is the front side of the waste bin door. Since the screws will come through the plywood from the back the T-nuts are installed on the front. Going to laminate both sides of the door so I have to locate the holes for the T-nuts on the back side after laminating it. Use a drill bit that's smaller than the hole in the center of the T-nut. Using the center of the T-nut as a guide, drill from the front to the back through the laminate on the back of the door.

Turn the door over and use another drill bit to enlarge the holes to the size of the screws I'll be using with the T-nuts.

Test fit the waste bin door.

Need to add some more T-nuts to the door to hold the waste bin. To know where they will go I'll have to make the waste bin first. Reuse an old piece of van flooring.

Cut out the pieces for the waste bin.

I'm going to take a little detour in my narrative. Back near the end of " Kitchen Cabinet, Post 6" I wrote about a length of 1/2" angle iron that was cut off of the cabinet frame because I didn't like how it was positioned. I had placed the piece on one of the metal shelves along the back wall of the garage. It would probably be recycle by cutting it up and using it elsewhere so I placed it perpendicular to the shelf so it would stick out and be noticed. Big Mistake.

To join the pieces of the waste bin together I started looking for my biscuit cutter. Don't use it too often so tend to forget where it's stored. Looking around the shop trying to find it when I spot it on the shelf directly below the angle iron piece. Problem is I didn't notice the angle iron and when quickly I bent down to retrieve the biscuit cutter I drove my forehead into the end of the angle iron piece just as hard as I could. I didn't see stars but I did hear (felt?) a distinct "thud". Since the other end of the angle iron was up against a cinder block wall it was a solid hit.

As soon as I straighted up and saw that I'd left a tiny bit of scalp and hair behind on the end of the angle iron I knew, "Oh yeah, that's going to start bleeding." And it did. Made it to the bathroom and administered first aid. Didn't need a trip to the ER since my skull stopped it from going too deep. Stopped the bleeding then cleaned and bandaged the angle shaped wound and got back to work.

Here's a picture of what I saw on the end of the angle iron. Not particular messy but I'll just leave it as a link in case it might bother some.
http://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/120506-14-mj.jpg

Use the biscuit cutter and glue and a bunch of clamps to make up a waste bin.

Let the waste bin set up overnight.

A note about the 1/2" angle iron. It has since been cut up and the pieces used in other parts of the van conversion. I didn't clean it off before using it so at some level I am now truly a part of the van. Or does this mean that HAL is now a cyborg?

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #498

hi wvan,

have you considered these

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

rather than t nuts?

i was having bad luck with t nuts one day and i went to home depot to wander and blow off steam and found these. they work great. and come in a few sizes.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #499
Site Team

Quote:
have you considered these

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

rather than t nuts?
Those might work on the doors and countertop but are too thick for the side panels. I used a bunch of the T-nuts so I'm hoping they will hold OK.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #500
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post #13

Went to test fit the waste bin and found it was a little too tall. Easily fixed with a table saw.

A better fit.

Make up a brace for the bottom of the waste bin.

Add T-nuts to the door to hold the brace.

Mount brace and check fit.

Need a couple side braces. Get the sheet of 16 gauge steel I keep cutting pieces off of.

Cut off three pieces then use the drill press, vise and welder to create these two.

The "T" shaped side brace also acts as a stop to prevent the door from swinging all the way down. Add more T-nuts to the door to hold the braces.

Test fit.

Use a drill and jigsaw to create handle-holes on both sides.

Sand smooth.

Prime and paint.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG