Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #1

Insurance

What are people doing for insurance? My agent doesnt know what a Quigley is and wants to value it at 2002 ford van value. Which is nowhere near the true value.

van 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:02 AM   #2

I was able to get a "declared value" policy with State Farm
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #3

I just went thru this - but it would help forum members to possibly help you - if you would
describe your van better. Mine is also a 2002 E350 - V10 Quigley. I had to send MANY photos to a Progressive agent - who then sent them to Underwriting - the "real guys" in charge of quotes.

I was able to get "agreed value" coverage - which means if anything bad happens to your rig - "read between the lines here" -- you'll most likely have to provide evidence of comparable rigs to yours - that were "sold" very recently for comparison - in order to "support" your previously "agreed upon" value you've been paying your premiums for ! -- if your van gets in a "bad way." You most likely would have to provide invoices for any "improvements" made to your van (i.e. RIP KIT, brake upgrades, etc.).

Good luck --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:36 PM   #4

Hm really...my State Farm agent was unwilling to consider this. And now I've been shopping around, and progressive seems to be the only option where you can readily add 'custom parts and improvements''

Haven't actually done this yet but I'm interested in others experiences here too!
Ace944gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #5

Garage
Here is a "sticky" that's been around for quite some time, with recent contributions from 2022 - the read may provide some insight:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-smb-5412.html

It's been mentioned several times in the past; Location seems to be a factor, many providers apparently respond differently in States, and shopping around is the solution. Having the RVIA sticker may help (plaque is usually located near one of the rear tail lights).
Old 04-26-2023, 07:22 PM   #6

https://www.roamly.com/

Have you heard of Outdoorsy? They are an airbnb style website for RVs and van rentals. They had the same problem so they started their own insurance company to deal with it. They also cover home builds no problem.

I just sent a total build list of parts and costs. It was actually really easy to setup. I have no idea what will happen if something goes wrong, but at least its peace of mind. Allstate, flat out, would not cover the extras.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #7

My 2016 van was bought as a passenger van and I converted it. Allstate gave me an RV policy with a declared value of 100k with no hassles at all. I’m pretty sure they’d go higher on the value if I wanted to.
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by van 4x4 View Post
What are people doing for insurance? My agent doesnt know what a Quigley is and wants to value it at 2002 ford van value. Which is nowhere near the true value.
You have to let your insurance agent that you have an RV. Otherwise, they look up the VIN which just shows the base vehicle.

I used Safeco, initially; but they raised their rates a lot, so I changed to Progressive. Check out their websites or find an agent. I find shopping for insurance through an independent agent works best. I've tried to beat prices by shopping around myself and never got any lower rates than a good independent agent can find.
KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:28 AM   #9

For those that got RV insurance, did you actually convert to an RV? Title change and all (meaning in most states permanent toilet, cooking, refrigeration, sleeping, etc?)
Ace944gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:40 AM   #10

I have an RV policy but my full SMB is titled as a passenger vehicle — I chose to do it that way for a variety of reasons, including parking restrictions, road restrictions, and registration costs.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote