Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #1

Looking for standard sized hex rivnuts? Anyone know a easy quick source in the US?

So I think I need 3/8 hex rivnuts for the roof, Böllhoff TW 3/8-16 UNC "Seem" to be the correct size. but I can not find anything that works. All the plus nuts in the van ( which suck, a couple of them previously installed in the van started spinning freely, why I want to use the hex nuts for ceiling)

Anyways, I bought a amazon Rivnut tool, and I got a assorted Hex Rivnut metric inserts. I thought the m8 or m10 inserts would fit, but of course they dont. I think another brands m10 might fit ( Böllhoff TW seem like they would fit perfectly with m8, m10, 5/16, and 3/8 but I can find them for sale anywhere? )

So can you all please help me figure out a place to get these? all the Fastenal's in my area seem like drop centers only ( last time I went to a Fastenal was maybe a decade ago and it was a complete store front where you can find what you need, now it is a "Fastenal Fulfillment Center - Will Call Only" so I guess I would have to order online and pickup? They also do not list the width of the flats area so I can not be sure looking at the page.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated!

kalabaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #2

Did you check mcmaster?
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

Looking now, That is a great site, I am unsure but it seems they all have the same issue, The 3/8 are all to small on the flats (.43 inch), the M8 is the same width as the 3/8 and the M10 is to big (.511). Am I missing something here?
Old 03-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #4

Ok, I think it is the difference between full hex and half hex. Half hex rivnuts seem to be thicker. so if I found a half hex 3/8 it is exactly .5 on the flats, but the full hex ones are all a tiny bit smaller.

McMaster seem to only have full hex, not the thicker half hex. (my be using the wrong terms. )

I have found this info from here,

Metric normal hex, all match what I already got.
https://www.rivetnutusa.com/wp-conte...ody-metric.pdf

Inch normal hex, all to small.
https://www.rivetnutusa.com/wp-conte...-body-inch.pdf

inch Half hex, 3/8 seems perfect sized.
https://www.rivetnutusa.com/wp-conte...f-hex-body.pdf
Old 03-23-2022, 09:13 AM   #5

Seems like you found the right parts.

Are you planning on making your own hex-shaped holes to use these in? How are you planning on doing that?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #6

In this case the roof ribs on my e250 has pre cut hex holes that I wanted to use, no way to make them my self. I did find the part, but I have not figured out where to buy it yet aside from bulk from Fastenal ( 1700 pieces at a time so WAY to pricy LOL )

If I can not find them easily by tonight / tomorrow morning I will just use plus nuts instead ( or maybe normal rivnuts, the tool I got does not have a long enough shank to do plus nuts I think, May swap it out if needed. will see.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaddon View Post
In this case the roof ribs on my e250 has pre cut hex holes that I wanted to use, no way to make them my self. I did find the part, but I have not figured out where to buy it yet aside from bulk from Fastenal ( 1700 pieces at a time so WAY to pricy LOL )

If I can not find them easily by tonight / tomorrow morning I will just use plus nuts instead ( or maybe normal rivnuts, the tool I got does not have a long enough shank to do plus nuts I think, May swap it out if needed. will see.
I've heard of people adding a dab of cyanoacrylate (superglue) or RTV when installing regular plusnuts or rivnuts to prevent spin out.

I didn't know the hex rivnuts exited but I do certainly like the idea.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #8

Like the crazy glue idea. I think I will just go that route if I find nothing tomorrow. getting stir crazy waiting to install the ceiling LOL.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #9

Used to be Lefthander Chassis had the best deals on rivnuts and don't know if that is what you want.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote