Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #151

Re: Polar Bear 1

The expanded metal is an interesting idea! If the guage is heavy enough and the open span not too great it should work. Put several people up there as a test and if it seems weak just throw down a sheet of 1/8" door skin to spread the weight. Just cut it to fit. You don't need to permanently attach it. Carry it inside and put it up when you get to the Playa. I always wear gloves...and a condom.

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #152

I decided against the Reflectix for the flooring. Instead, I'm using foam. You can pick up packs of foam squares that weave together like puzzle pieces for about $20 a pack. The foam is meant for things like garage floors or weight rooms. This may end up being my only flooring for BM.

I made a butcher paper template of the van floor and used it as a guide.

Because the pieces all snap together, the mat falls apart easily. So, I duct taped everything together on the back.

It fit nicely inside the van. There's a gap on either side where the full width doesn't meet the edge of the van wall. I have enough trimmings left over to fill those spots in before I lay down plywood on top of this.

I keep trying to think of an alternative to plywood... but I can't come up with anything. I'm wondering if something like half inch is thick enough? I don't mind if it has a little give to it, so long as it doesn't make the wood wear out. Any suggestions? 3/4" all the way???

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #153

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Go Big!

Ron
Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #154

I used 3/4". I bought 2 10' sheets so I only have one seam right down the middle. I had alot of leftover pieces but have slowly used them for other projects. Suggestion for a template. I learned this watching the granite guy make a template for my kitchen counter top. Using 2" strips of door skin and a glue gun and a skin knife..or scissors he laid the strips around the perimeter cutting fitting and gluing the strips to each other as he went. It made for a perfect outline and is easy to handle and fast to make. What will you cover the plywood with? I used Loncoin but it was expensive. It's bullet proof. Same stuff SMB uses.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #155

Re: floor - I used 3/8" and haven't noticed any flex.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
What will you cover the plywood with?
I was planning on using poolside carpet.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #157

Just a suggestion...carpet holds dirt and wears out fast. If you put down something impermeable you can always put some kind of an area rug on top of that. Then it's easy to clean everything. I bought a couple of those rubber backed carpets like you see at office entrances etc. Just hose them off.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #158

That's a nice ride. You're really making some nice progress on this thing.

I probably missed it but earlier you were looking at a trans swap so you could have overdrive. Have you thought about a Gear Vendors overdrive or a Ranger unit from Advance Adapters. They bolt in between your trans and transfer case and I believe they allow you to split all 3 gears, effectively giving you 6.

http://www.gearvendors.com/4x4f3s.html

Might be an alternative to using the E4OD and having to deal with stand alone controllers.
angrysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #159

@Christopher Thwaites - I never heard of that stuff before and didn't see any similar products at Home Depot when I last went by... I like it... and the idea of being able to clean it easily. I'll have to research more when I get home from the Burn.

@angrysam - That's interesting and something I'll probably look into a little closer later on. Thanks =)

Last night I got the driver's seat installed... Finally...

I might post pics of the mounting system later... it took me a while to figure out a solution, but it was surprisingly simple and effective when I did.

Overall, this mod is giving me more satisfaction for the amount of work it took than anything else I've done to the van. I took it for a test drive last night and was giggly! The seat landed at just the right height, angle, and distance to be really comfy.

As a side note, I was laid off yesterday. On the up side, I'll have more time to work on the van. On the downside, I won't have as much cash on hand.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #160

Loncoin is a fabric backed vynl floor covering material. Highly durable, used in high traffic situations like airport walkways etc. SMB uses it in their van conversions.
I gotta ask about the seats...are those parachute packs on the seat backs? How fast does the van go?
07 BMW 525xi wagon