Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #41
PAD

I heard there is a kit version of this? Can you give me the details, please?
A tree fell on the roof of my Ford Transit and I'm thinking it might be time for a pop up.
P

PAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #42

Garage
Derek doesn't frequent the forums anymore. your best bet is to call him direct.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #43
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12 View Post
My thought it if you have a Sportsmobile pop top why whould you want to buy a whole new roof?

Thought I'd dig this post up from the archives, just came across the thread from its more recent posts and had to laugh, I know I was the first and maybe only one so far....

.......Seemed like a good idea at the time and going on 3 years after the transplant, no regerts......[emoji51]

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Thought I'd dig this post up from the archives, just came across the thread from its more recent posts and had to laugh, I know I was the first and maybe only one so far....

.......Seemed like a good idea at the time and going on 3 years after the transplant, no regerts......[emoji51]
Completely agree. The CCV top is soooo much better. Stronger, much more sturdy in wind, with a much taller and wider bed.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #45

I might be alone in this, but I just dont like the way they look. My ideal one I guess would follow the natural lines of the van a bit more and be about 10 inches tall.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
I might be alone in this, but I just dont like the way they look. My ideal one I guess would follow the natural lines of the van a bit more and be about 10 inches tall.

You are not alone in this. Aesthetically, I like the look of the SMB top much better. However, I do subscribe to the consensus that the CCV top is superior. If I was closer to CCV or had more time, I would have opted for that instead, but having SMB so close it was a no brainer.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Agreed, Derek missed on the leading edge design. But functionality wins over beauty for me. And the medium height top is only about 11" tall. I like that part, as it allows me to leave all pillows, sheets, blankets, and small duffels in the top when closed.. which you can't do with the SMB top.

That said, I'm finally working on fixing it with a 52" curved light bar hiding the front edge..

Here's my original detailed drawing to Derek from a few years back, asking about the leading edge:
Attached Thumbnails
image1.JPG  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
not alone at all. im on the same page as rally with the medium top looks.

I could have had the first high top he offered, but I was crushing on buckkillers van when I had the money and got the last fiberine top instead. seeing refs van changed a lot of how I feel about the high-top, but I honestly don't think it would look near as good on a white van, especially an eb.

I would have got the smb top if it was full length. that wasted space above the driver/pass seats is what steered me right to ccv. when building a van utilizing the small amount of space available is critical. imho, smb drops the ball there and ccv picked it up. plus the windows are much larger, having the insulated canvas option and a 54" wide bed kinda sealed the deal for me.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
seeing refs van changed a lot of how I feel about the high-top, but I honestly don't think it would look near as good on a white van, especially an eb.
Ray's old white Quadvan EB has a tall CCV top now. New owner is a member here, but damned if I remember his name.. it looks good, but BIG!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #50
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yes.....just in case you needed yet another photo of the high top for reference

I agree though, the lines on the mid top are a little funky, was not available when we got ours anyway. I was a little put off with the high top at first as I only saw it on a white van, but the added benefits as mentioned far made up for the initial reaction, and it's certainly grown on me since. I had originally come up with a drop bar design I wanted Derek to build on the front of the rack to hold the light bar and hide some of the top, but it didn't happen. In the end, after the top was painted and on the van I decided it looked much better painted green and I'd had enough of adding to the cost, and went with a simpler design build on the rack. I have a drawing of it somewhere.....

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote