Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

How rusty is too rusty?

This van has everything I want except a clean frame. How much rust is too much rust?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-E...gAAOSwDNpcuT9n

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

i know all you folk who dont live in the northeast want to hurl at the sight of that...

Its rusty, but to be honest my van looked somewhat similar underneath when i bought it.

I took it to a media blaster and $500 later the entire underside was super clean. I could not believe it was the same van. Then i spend a solid 12 hours with a zinc primer and top coat hitting everything.

I plan on having the van sprayed again this year with some rust preventative underbody spray before winter. Living in the northeast and loving winter...its going to continue to see salt and theres no stopping the rust 100%.

but really...theres nothing some money and time cant fix. Its hard to see if there is really any structural issues with that van, but bringing it somehwere and having it blasted will do wonders.
axcxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

I live in SoCal and I don't worry about it rusting here, I just worry about getting it cleaned up and such. If the price is right, it's a v10 4x4 with a bumper and I like the interior. Maybe I will reach out to them...
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

Look up 86Scotty's thread on reviving his old Quigley van "Rusty," and the difference from when he got it and when he was done with it. That van has changed owners several times already and is still going strong.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Team

I was wondering why the undercarriage was so much rustier than the body, but then I saw the "may have been used as a boat launch" (in Florida), so that would explain it. The fact that sway bar link is broken (weakened by rust???) does concern me though.

It all comes down to how much sweat equity you want to invest.

Herb
Old 05-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

The sway bar link part gives me pause only because that means it useless until that is fixed. If I could at least drive it around while plotting my clean up, that would make it much easier to stomach. I may shoot him a very low offer seeing as i need to get it from Georgia too.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ I wouldn't say useless. I see people that have obviously driven around for months if not years with broken sway bar links. you could disconnect the opposite side and either Velcro or zip tie it in a spot where it doesn't impede other components and then just drive cautiously until repaired, or remove it altogether. I wouldn't think tice about driving it with a broken link if it was a good enough deal. couldn't be worse that my Quigley was coming home from Georgia, lol. 4 blown shocks, front swaybar bushings completely gone.... its a drive I wont ever forget.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

I saw that first photo with the cube truck behind it and at first I thought it was some sort of weird home-built top on the van!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
I saw that first photo with the cube truck behind it and at first I thought it was some sort of weird home-built top on the van!
I thought the same thing!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

That’d scare me. It’s not just the frame, all undercarriage components and I guarantee a good bit of the sheet metal is rusty... if not actually showing on the exterior yet.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote