Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #1

6.0 Alternator Issues

Hopefully this belongs here and not over in electrical.

Have an issue with my alternator not charging. Batteries are new/good, checked all my grounds, and pretty sure all of my wiring is good. Pulled the alternator to get checked shop stated it was fine but probably the voltage regulator that this one did not have on it.

The van was a former fire department vehicle and they cut all the wires to the lights and sirens when it was sold which has kinda been a pain.

The alternator is an aftermarket unit with no useful markings. It has wires running to both studs and two extra wires on the studs and two going to a plug and the alternator. Those 4 wires were bundled and went toward the front passenger side where they were cut. Best I can tell they should have went to the dash where the voltage is regulated on start up?

Really lost on what to do next. Thinking of buying a new replacement alternator that uses the factory plug (which is still there) and plugging it in.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Sure I am leaving some useful info out so please let me know if further is needed.

Thanks!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
226B02D1-3DF7-4C0D-A754-DF84EC990C2D.jpeg   2CFAB79B-F45A-428A-BA29-49E241F7BF98.jpg   9E03B70A-BB95-44FB-8588-B0B5B7467101.jpg  

RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #2

I can't help with the wiring issue but if you are thinking of upgrading noodle around on this site. https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...=cat/cat10.htm

I have a 250A DCpower in my rig. Not sure what you've got but the stock alternator is woefully not up to the task.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
My alternator (DC power) does not have a regulator. I have a Bal-Mar smart charging (adjustable) voltage regulator at my dash. This was a specific order for the alternator to work with the regulator and the alternator was configured and purchased through Nation's alternator.

I elected to have the regulator mounted inside for a couple of reasons, 1) to avoid the heat issues in the engine bay and 2) have the regulator where I can program it easily.

Some rigs have twin alternators and maybe they removed one and installed a higher rated single alternator??? Just a guess.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote