Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #1

SCT X4/ running hot?

2006 E350 6.0/ Fairly uneducated in automotive.

Two issues.
I have been having trouble with my vacuum pump. The original OEM pump died in Jan 2002. Replaced and it lasted until 3 weeks ago. Took it to EIS in Sherwood OR and that one lasted 10 minutes of driving. They replaced it and that one lasted two days. This time check engine light and battery light came on as well as losing power steering. Replaced again and I picked it up yesterday 10/7/22. Crossing my fingers. The same thing was happening to all the new ones including the first replacement in Jan. A round metal thing is being knocked off. I guess there is a piston in the pump and it is knocking it out somehow. So says my mechanic. So I got it from the mechanic on his first try 3 weeks ago. He also did a computer EGR delete. I was in a hurry and just gave him my card, got my receipt and went on my way. Well I noticed a charge for an SCT X4 which I found boxed up in the back of the van. I had no idea what it was. I called and asked and he said it was needed for the delete and tune. Fine. I figured it would be good to be able to see accurate reads for the gauges. Yesterday when driving home from vacuum pump #4 install, my dash temp gauge almost topped out. This morning I did some quick reading on the SCT. I plugged it in and went for a drive. I have no idea what it means other than the coolant temp and EOT. Reading on this forum it seems the safe average readings are around ECT190-205 and EOT a few degrees higher. I have included a pic of my SCT display. Is this reading dangerous to my engine? At 246 I pulled over and shut her down. Got her home and it is parked. I feel that if I would have continued driving it would have climbed. Outdoor temp was about 86 degrees and it was regular driving with about 10 minutes on the freeway. I would pay someone to teach me how to take advantage of this piece of equipment. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input. This van is my home for a large part of the year.
Attached Thumbnails
SCT gauge reading.jpg  

darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #2

Garage
246 on Coolant & Oil is a real concern when you have only been doing some light driving. Hard to say what's going on since it sounds like you haven't any type of monitoring system, so you don't really have a base line to work with.
My first question would be did they 'load' a tune for you ??? That could be your culprit - especially if it wasn't specifically designed for the Van. Which company did the Tune? Also, when is the last time you replaced the coolant cap on the degas bottle ?

Lot of Temp's have 'ranges' that are considered normal operating temps...all influenced by the amount of stress you are placing on the engine (Weight of the Van, grade height & duration, gearing, tire size, RPM's, ambient temp, etc). I would get concerned if any reached the high side of these:
Oil = 190 - 230
Coolant = 190 - 230
Trans = 170 - 220
EGT's = 600-1200 (can get higher for a very short period)

The Oil & Coolant deltas are considered ok if they are within 7 degrees sustained (you'll see larger variance's occasionally when you have a real load on the engine). Variances beyond the 7 degrees may indicate an oil cooler issue.
Did you ever install an auxiliary Coolant Filter?

EDIT: Look at this Thread - ShuttlePilot's post #7
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ees-21745.html
Old 10-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #3

Twoxentrix,
Thank you for the reply. I did not know they had sold me the SCT until later when I finally looked at the invoice. They have been working on the van for several years so I was not to concerned. I am not familiar with this piece of equipment. I will have to ask them Monday in regards to them loading a tune. The company that works on my van is Electronic Injection Services near Portland OR.

I have been traveling long distances (Mexico, East Coast etc.) for five years and what is going on now is not normal. The dash temp gauge is topping out. I know it is not an accurate reading but it has never done that before.

I have not had the degas bottle cap replaced in the five years I have owned it. Is it easy to access? The egr has a computer bypass and yes I had a coolant filter installed a couple of years ago.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:01 PM   #4

Garage
Ask your Shop if the Tunes were specifically for a 6.0 van (Not the Truck). If they can't tell you for sure, I'll bet it was written for a Truck.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #5

Since you have the tool, you should be able to see what SCT tune is in their, and download any of their other options. Just make sure to backup the OEM tune to a laptop or such, it should be in the tool you got, but gets easily deleted.
I’ve been running the SCT van tow tune for years, with really good results.
BTW yes you do need a tune if you do EGR delete, as the tune stops the MIL light coming on since it ignores and EGR valve errors (since the valve is no longer plugged in).
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #6

Thanks so much SheepShagger. I just downloaded the most recent updates onto my SCT. I will mess with it this afternoon. Love hate relationship with the van right now.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #7

Any updates darkstar66? Being a shade tree 6.0 mechanic I have so, so many questions about your first post. Maybe an update would answer most of them.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #8

Depending on what tune is on the SCT tuner you certainly don't want to download updates to the SCT tuner if you have an EGR delete. The stock tunes on the tuner are for the trucks so you don't want those either. The fueling tables and engine timing are different.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #9

Yes JoeH. I found that out. My mechanic was able to return it to the tune provided by Gearhead. This learning curve is a long one.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:32 AM   #10

Garage
Curious darkstar66, if I’m reading into you comment correctly that’s a tune you originally had (gearhead) - does this mean all your temps when back to normal now?