Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: 6.0 diesel: Turbine carbon issue ??

Seems like my boost at ine time would move into the low to mid 20's but now at full throttle on flat ground it doesn't get past 16 or so.

So engine guys, what is norm?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #42

Dave,

Teens does not sound right. I was in the twenties (I think) with a split boot.

FYI: I looked into turbos, Tousley Ford has the best price on a new turbo, under $1000, no core.

First I would make sure the turbo vanes are moving all the way, not sticking part way open.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #43

MAP sensor on my Scangauge shows 30+ when I floor it. Even with the split boot and veins sticking it was still getting above 25. It's back to normal since everything was replaced. I would get the updated oil lines when you get the work done, parts are not expensive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
Site Team

Garage

What units on a scan gauge does the map sensor use? I'm looking at an actual PSI turbo boost gauge similar to one used on a large diesel truck. I'm not sure of the scale (flat PSI I think) but it has never been above 25 PSI since the van was new and that is only when climbing a steep hill under a heavy throttle. I'll compare it to the map feature on my scan gauge next time I go out.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #45

I think the Scangauge has a couple of choice for the MAP display. I know mine is reading Absolute pressure( no boost = 14.7 psi) I'm going to guess your gauge shows relative pressure - i.e. it goes to zero when the engine is off.

15 psi relative almost equals 30 psi absolute.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I think the Scangauge has a couple of choice for the MAP display. I know mine is reading Absolute pressure( no boost = 14.7 psi) I'm going to guess your gauge shows relative pressure - i.e. it goes to zero when the engine is off.

15 psi relative almost equals 30 psi absolute.

Mike
Correct, idle=0...thanks Mike

Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #47

An interesting addendum to my P0299 code from last week. I've been driving the van hard all week, scan gauge in town mileage is down to 8.5 mpg (from 12.5) but the code has cleared on its own. Previously I did clear it several times with the scan gauge but it immediately reappeared those times. Then driving it Friday to work the light went off and no stored codes show. I had been romping it on hills and the straightaway and I now see an increased range on the VGT display too. That PDF earlier in the thread is really good info! Thanks. Also thanx for other comments and it does appear that burning a little extra fuel at WOT now and then is a necessary preventative maintenance item. I will leisurely look for a replacement turbo, the one on there now is from a 2005 warranty replacement (re-manufactured unit) and has been cleaned 3 times now. I think a non-VGT is out of the question because of California / CARB and reprogramming. I talked to Bullet-Proof Diesel and Brian thought the Stage 1 truck replacement turbo (GT3788VA) might be way overkill for a van so at least getting a post 2007 reman + EGR replacement and some other bullet proofing might be my ticket to better long term reliability. I plan to start a separate thread to progress this for everyone who shares the 6.0 turbo woes. It just occurred to me, I have the 2003 - 2004.25 model engine (round EGR) the post 2007 turbo design with its marginal improvements might not be available (fit) for that year engine. More research to do.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #48

just had my first low boost/turbo code at 16k, dealer replacing unison ring/guts of the turbo under warranty. lack of driving issue. somewhat crazy to think you can get in trouble for not driving enough!

curious any further updates from those who have fixed as it seems like a reoccurring issue.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

Our shop said some of the issues were corrected with an upgrade in the program; the computer now fully open and closes the veins when the key is turned on. Might not be the best mod but I would think it helps a bit.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #50

9 month follow up on my codes from last September. I have continued to romp on it now and then. I have some nice hills around here to really push it. No further codes or problems since I've been driving it harder.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote