Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2023, 05:53 PM   #1

Broke Down 7.3 (also in Bozeman)

I saw that other thread about breaking down in Bozeman and laughed a little, because i'm in the same place and it's really messing up my summer. Here's a nice shot of my newly UJOINTed van, and my Golf R. A great pairing. I know some members helped me decide on all the 4wd stuff - so thanks for all that.

Anyway; black soot, burning oil, low power, hard starting has been confirmed to be leaky injectors in my '01 7.3 w/ 90,000 miles. I guess this is what happens when a van sits for too long.

Every shop I called in Bozeman is 1-2 months out. I had it towed to G&J diesel in Billings and they got me in within a week. We're going to replace all eight injectors, cups, glow plugs, and valve cover gasket/harness.

Any sense in considering anything other than motorcraft injectors?

What else should I get done while it's in the shop/halfway taken apart? I was in a rush, but I may have to leave it behind.

Fuel bowl delete? Mine had a bad leak a while ago - don't remember what fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4076.jpg  

maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #2

i would probably be looking at upgraded injectors if you can spare the time with shipping. Stage 1.5 I think? Also if you have a CA van, they already have split shot i think? Not too sure, but the 7.3 is pretty underpowered most times and can benefit from injector upgrades and a tuner. Fuel bowl delete is good, but not particularly a "do it at the same time as injectors" thing I wouldn't think, unless they're removing the engine or something.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I just spent almost half my vacation putting a waterpump in mine in my buddy's driveway 500 mi. from home.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I would be leery of adding additional power unless you at least have a pyrometer. The EGTs can go up very quickly, and you can damage a 7.3 with excessive heat.

The harness under the valve covers is a smart preventative replacement.

Herb
Old 07-17-2023, 07:11 PM   #4

For the risk of maybe $50 to $100 and my not knowing the maintenance / use profile of your 7.3 - (no tuner?)

I had a diagnosis of a bad couple of injectors at 92k miles. After I balked at the $9 freaking THOUSAND quote to do the injectors, et al - the guy recommended:

Hot Shotz - two bottles oil additive/ stiction eliminator and oil change first go around and one bottle every oil change thereafter. Also, Hot Shotz Diesel Fuel additive using double dosage.

So, did that and the sound, smoothness, etc. all vastly improved. Now we are at 120k.
I have also occasionally used some of the R95 Diesel on long road trips. This has worked for us.

Not saying it will solve your problem, but when I hear of a 90k mi 7.3 needing any injector attention I get into questioning mode. These engines really are incredible true workhorses that want to be run with loads (get hot) and not babied. 90k is not even broken in. It might be possible to get the injectors to clear up enough.

Just an idea.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:06 PM   #5

I do have the Hydra Tuner and a pyrometer. I work hard to keep EGTs under 1250.

So I'm burning more oil than diesel, and feeling pretty confident that injectors need to come out. Any good reason not go with stock motorcraft injectors @$330 each? Does that seem reasonable?

Up pipes are also leaking, so they're going to replace those as well. Wicked wheel upgrade while they have the turbo out? Anyone have experience with that?

Here's my quote from the shop. Does this look reasonable to everyone?

Thanks,
Max
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4244.jpg  
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #6

I’ve always bought Powestroke injectors from Oregon Fuel Injection.. They stock new Motorcraft ones and also remans.

Double check with the shop which ones they are installing. $330 is new injector price, but the core charge comment suggests remans.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #7

I have been told not all Up-Popes are the same and the one's to get are the Int'l Harvester ones vs the Dorman's. Someone more knowledgeable can provide details.

Jake at Aerotanks recommended installing an inline fuel filter when we changed over to the larger tank. He said it was far easier to change a spin on filter on the frame than the one atop the engine.

Wicked Wheel - divergent views on that in reading diesel forums. Same with fuel and oil crossover systems. I will dig up a list that Voodoo7.3 put together one time. It was detailed.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 PM   #8

Voodoo7.3 E-portal thread

See SterlheadJones link, mine was bad.

Good post re Fuel crossover and injectors is #26 in that thread.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:44 PM   #9

Ray I think that link is dead. It took me to ‘404 not found.’ But I found it here... https://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...diesel.162985/
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:52 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Broke Down 7.3 (also in Bozeman)

I’ve recently been told that the KC Turbos are the one to look at, and replacement vs rebuild or throwing in a wheel may not gain you much if anything.
It will be worth doing a turbo inspection and to see if the compressor wheel shows any damage, most likely caused by play in the thrust bearing, if so, upgrade the turbo, if not, sounds like you’ll be at least doing the injectors, you can replace o rings that sound like they rotted out due to low use or go for full injector replacement.
Doorman makes a decent knockoff set of bellowed up pipes for less $, I went with the real deal, no issues.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote