Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
khalilsc - Nice mods. I'm assuming that if you are using Devil Mountain Diesel, you live in the area. I'd love to check it out when your done if you don't mind. I'm a bit further south on 680.

Will also be curious what you think of DMD after they work on your van. I was expecting to start using Left Coast Diesel for any needs now that I'm out of warranty. Luckily, I haven't needed anything major in a while (now I just jinxed it).

Phil
If you want to check out the van, I live in Santa Cruz and you're welcome to come have a visit and we can spin her around the block and share ideas. We can stay in touch about that. So far Devil Moutain Diesel has been awesome. I have given them a lot of parameters and things/ideas have changed during the process and they have been flexible. No job such as this will be easy/timely/or cheap, if it is you've got the wrong shop. The guys at DMD KNOW THEYRE STUFF. They've been working on SuperDuty's, especially the 6 liter since the motor's been in production. VERY knowledgeable and willing to work on the vans, do custom work, and maintain stock parts whenever possible. Probably won;t pick her up until late next week now, as I am having a couple more "things" added to the work. Thanks guys!

khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalilsc
So far Devil Moutain Diesel has been awesome. I have given them a lot of parameters and things/ideas have changed during the process and they have been flexible. No job such as this will be easy/timely/or cheap, if it is you've got the wrong shop. The guys at DMD KNOW THEYRE STUFF. They've been working on SuperDuty's, especially the 6 liter since the motor's been in production. VERY knowledgeable and willing to work on the vans, do custom work, and maintain stock parts whenever possible. Probably won;t pick her up until late next week now, as I am having a couple more "things" added to the work. Thanks guys!
The 6.0 has been very good for diesel shop owners

I'll be interested in the general labor. I realize you're having extra work done but in general an EGR cooler/oil cooler job is about 8 hours I think. With the head work it must be up to 10 or 12 hours or more?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

The 6.0 has been very good for diesel shop owners

I'll be interested in the general labor. I realize you're having extra work done but in general an EGR cooler/oil cooler job is about 8 hours I think. With the head work it must be up to 10 or 12 hours or more?
Check out my gallery, the motor is removed from the van, the amount of labor is tremendous. After pulling the motor, there was scoring in the low pressure oil housing and the front cover needed replacing, more work. It's a nightmare really to do this job. Actual hours and charged hours may vary, but to do all the work on my van that is on the order is triple your guestimate....yeah, seriously.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
Site Team

For just the oil cooler/EGR replacement, the motor does not need to be removed. You add in all the other changes the original poster had performed, it might be necessary and/or advisable.

Herb
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
For just the oil cooler/EGR replacement, the motor does not need to be removed. You add in all the other changes the original poster had performed, it might be necessary and/or advisable.

Herb
The lower part of the engine was leaking, so the bed plate needed to be removed, front and rear cover replacement. Most 6 liters have seepage at the very least here, but the engine MUST come completely out of the vehicle turned over and worked on. The entirety of the all the work being done is a massive job. I hate spending the money, sure, but to address engine failures of the 6 liter one by one would cost many times more in time and money.
Already experienced in less than 60K:
1. failed HPOP and EGR cooler
2. 2x failed EGRs
3. Camshaft pos sensor (stranded, towed from my house)
4. 2x replaced turbo with stock
5. 2x replaced FICM (1x stranded, towed 200+ miles in Alaska)
6. engine wiring harness (stranded, towed from my house)
7. vacuum brake pump (went without warning, stranded, hobbled to a shop in British Columbia)

And when I brought it in to get this overhaul this month, I was having intermittent no starts when hot.
Most of my breakdowns were fixed under warranty, but the headaches, the stress and fear of another breakdown was the worse. After all this, its either sell it and start over or fix it from the bottom up. The cost of doing this work is FAR less than what the van has already incurred in the first 60k (had it not been for the warranty).

THE COMMON THREAD FOR ALL OF US READING THIS???

WE LOVE OUR VAN!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
1. Bulletproof Diesel head gasket kit with ARP studs
2. Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler and egr cooler
3. Bulletproof Diesel FICM
4. Bulletproof Diesel all aluminum radiator
5. Bulletproof Diesel billet water pump
6. Bat Mo Wheel Turbo compressor wheel, updated oil downtube
7. MBRP Turbo back 4 inch exhaust
8. Tru-Cool Max 40K tranny cooler
9. Updated Ford fuel regulator kit with blue spring
10. 200 amp alternator
11. Edge insight monitor with EGT probe
12. SCT flash programmer, custom tunes.
So why the radiator...better cooling? I've already done the bed plate, fuel regulator, alternator and gauges but haven't done a coolant filter.

I didn't see what the cost is to do this only expect it to be triple of what you thought. So about how much?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
1. Bulletproof Diesel head gasket kit with ARP studs
2. Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler and egr cooler
3. Bulletproof Diesel FICM
4. Bulletproof Diesel all aluminum radiator
5. Bulletproof Diesel billet water pump
6. Bat Mo Wheel Turbo compressor wheel, updated oil downtube
7. MBRP Turbo back 4 inch exhaust
8. Tru-Cool Max 40K tranny cooler
9. Updated Ford fuel regulator kit with blue spring
10. 200 amp alternator
11. Edge insight monitor with EGT probe
12. SCT flash programmer, custom tunes.
So why the radiator...better cooling? I've already done the bed plate, fuel regulator, alternator and gauges but haven't done a coolant filter.

I didn't see what the cost is to do this only expect it to be triple of what you thought. So about how much?
I suppose it's none of our business but maybe we should take bets?

I'm guessing $5500 parts and $3500 labor. Total $9000 out the door.

While that seems like a lot, that 6.0 is going to go another 300,000 worry-free miles.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Yikes. Maybe do the things one at a time that can be done that way and do the big stuff when pulling the engine apart? I know in the end it would cost more but 10K is a chunk.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #19

Quote:
WE LOVE OUR VAN!!!!!!!
After 4x turbo repairs + other stuff the best I can say is "I have a lukewarm affection" However now that I tromp the semi-go peddle on every hill I cleared the last Check Engine light and it has stayed off.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #20

LUKEWARM AFFECTION! HA! Yah I know the feeling all too well, but since I've had the van it has become a part of an ethos that I am not ready to let go of.
As for the cost of all the work? Its $7k in parts (they are what they are), the labor is negotiated on a per customer basis and I wouldn't feel okay advertising that information, just bad form. They're not a big enterprise like Sportsmobile, they're a small shop who (from what I can see), who prides themselves in working with each individual customer. I will however give anyone interested an honest review of the shop when it's all said and done, as well as updates on the new performance of the overhaul. If you're interested in any of the work I am having done, it's just a phone call away to Devil Mountain Diesel, you can ask yourself. Of course they would appreciate the business, I am in no way associated with them other than being a customer. Safe travels everyone, may the 6.0 god be with you.