Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Dealing with oil changes as a DIY is normally an easily learned process. The inconvenient part around either a 7.3 or 6.0 is the nearly FOUR GALLONS of oil that needs to be collected as it drains out.
My first diesel oil change experience was a very messy one. A friend asked me to do it because her son had made a huge mess the last time he did it. I had a five gallon bucket under the drain plug, and when I pulled the plug, the oil hit the bottom of the bucket, and came right back out by running up the sides of the bucket. I ended up soaked in oil before I could stop the flood. When I came back in the house she said "you look just like Frank did when he changed the oil" Anyway, I now install a quick change valve in place of the drain plug. It's a valve that you can put a hose on. Put the hose in the bucket, open the valve and no mess at all. Now, I change my own oil on the road using empty water jugs and a funnel to catch the oil that drips out when I pull the filter. Start to finish takes about 20 minutes.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
All the preparation in the world doesn't help when you forget to remove the inlet opening on 5 gallon combo drain tray/catch basin. You realize how very quickly that little catch area fills up and overflows and you reach into the dirty oil to remove the stopper.Herb
It's always nice to have a lot of cardboard under the drain pan when messing about with oil. Leaving the vent plug in has a similar effect too.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #23

Thanks to all for your inputs and advice, we successfully changed the oil and filters this morning with Amsoil we ordered online. Fortunately for us one of the previous owners had installed a Fumoto valve which made things pretty simple for us to drain the oil without making a mess. It was pretty fun checking out all the different systems under the chassis. Something to be said for a high clearance vehicle, which made it a lot easier.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^ So glad to hear you took the DIY plunge changing your own oil--VERY cool the Fumoto valve was already in place. Next time you're due it'll seem far less a challenge, more of an adventure adding to your skill set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
All the preparation in the world doesn't help when you forget to remove the inlet opening on 5 gallon combo drain tray/catch basin. You realize how very quickly that little catch area fills up and overflows and you reach into the dirty oil to remove the stopper.
Herb
OMG tell me about goof ups like this Herb. Once I drained a new-to-me 5.4 motor's oil with the factory type loosen and lose pan plug. The plan was to replace the factory plug with my favorite Quick Drain types. Using a 1/2 quart metal funnel sitting on top of a plastic jug, both opaque so no way to see what was about to happen.

The plug fell into the funnel immediately plugging it up (imagine that), the funnel quickly over flowing and completely missing the plastic jug covering my hand and naturally onto the driveway. I did not have my larger catch pan in place, foolishly thinking I could do all this without spilling a single drop.

These days oil changes have the bigger pan in place without fail---I'm tired of scrubbing my driveway on my hands and knees. Thank goodness for Purple Power's Driveway & Concrete Cleaner!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
The plug fell into the funnel immediately plugging it up (imagine that), the funnel quickly over flowing and completely missing the plastic jug covering my hand and naturally onto the driveway.
Plunging your hand into a funnel full of hot oil would not be fun, nor would using your thumb to plug the drain hole. It's why I love my drain valve. It allows me to easily do oil changes on the road. A couple empty water jugs and a drain hose makes for an easy spill free experience.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #26

Speaking of oil change goof-ups...bought me a new-to-me big Kubota tractor a couple years ago and it was time to do an oil change. Takes 3-1/2 gallons to do a change so I had an empty 5 gallon bucket ready. Stuck my big funnel in the spout in the bucket, shoved the whole thing under the tractor, and removed the drain plug. Woops! The opening in the bottom of the funnel was ~ 5/8".....the tractor's drain plug (metric) looked to be at least ~ 1-1/4". No way the opening in the funnel could handle the volume of oil draining out of that big hole! Had to shovel a lot of dirt to soak up the oil that went everywhere. Live and learn!
Old 06-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #27
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Plunging your hand into a funnel full of hot oil would not be fun, nor would using your thumb to plug the drain hole. It's why I love my drain valve. It allows me to easily do oil changes on the road. A couple empty water jugs and a drain hose makes for an easy spill free experience.
Lucky for me all this happened on a cold engine so just the mess ensued.

But yes I did and do replace all oil drain plugs with a valve that's controllable by me rather than gravity. Something very low profile, doesn't reduce ground clearance and not vulnerable to road hazards.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote