Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #1

Ford 4.9L I6 (300 straight six) power options?

So I have a 4.9L and I am realistic about what it is. I would like to be able to pull the mountains in the Pacific Northwest without having to get out and push...

With that said I know there are builds of these engines pushing 500HP with intercooled Turbos. Guess what I am NOT going to do?

So here is some background on it. 1993 4.9L EFI I6, so factory rated around 150HP, I am looking for some intake, exhaust, and possibly cam updates that can push those numbers into mid 200HP territory while keeping MPG and reliability intact.

I know most folks don't build up straight sixes, more is the pity as I had a Jeep CJ-7 with a Mopar Performance injection setup, Clifford header, and I honestly don't recall the cam but I know it pulled as strong as a 360 V8 and got decent gas mileage to boot...

Anyway, if anyone here can recommend info on getting the most out of this engine for camper van use, I would greatly appreciate it. All the builds I am seeing are for max HP and that is not what I need...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #2

Those classic inline 6 are absolutely wonderful workhorses. The design will not be conducive to much HP but can do better on hills.

I had a Dodge 360 which was an absolute dog. I put an old school round performance air filter on it (K&N style) and it made a huge improvement in getting over hills. Was towing a toy hauler at the time so not only did "butt dyno" improve but was able to get over major grades in 3rd not 2nd.

Free flowing air, exhaust and maybe a mild cam would be the thing for me. I would not go high performance cam as I want reliability and the engine is a torque monster not a hp monster.

As with anything - things aren't always what they seem. In reality - you may get much better bang for your buck with a slightly higher rear end gear ratio.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
Those classic inline 6 are absolutely wonderful workhorses.....
As with anything - things aren't always what they seem. In reality - you may get much better bang for your buck with a slightly higher rear end gear ratio.
I couldn't agree more. They are great motors. Sorta thirsty but bulletproof.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #4

There are numerous builds on YouTube on one of the best most dependable engines Ford built. A balanced rebuild can get you 270 hp and 338 torque from the smog Era turn downs of 88 hp & 217 tq. There is additional videos on a turbo upgrade of up to 345 hp and 436 to and it peaked at 522 hp 597 to max. It sported a Holley Sniper throttle body fuel injected unit and a Turbonetics (72mm). Of course this all cost money but compared to a sourcing a perfect fit swap and the cost of swaping I think your slightly cheaper at building the 6cyl. Go to Powernation 4.9 300.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
There are numerous builds on YouTube on one of the best most dependable engines Ford built. A balanced rebuild can get you 270 hp and 338 torque from the smog Era turn downs of 88 hp & 217 tq. There is additional videos on a turbo upgrade of up to 345 hp and 436 to and it peaked at 522 hp 597 to max. It sported a Holley Sniper throttle body fuel injected unit and a Turbonetics (72mm). Of course this all cost money but compared to a sourcing a perfect fit swap and the cost of swaping I think your slightly cheaper at building the 6cyl. Go to Powernation 4.9 300.
Aren't these almost the same design as the equally bulletproof Jeep 4.0 i6? Tons of people are building those up to impressive numbers as well and they almost can't be killed.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
I am definately not interested in a boosted build, I am sure it is hot as all get out, I am just looking to not want to get out and push going uphills, while keeping reliability and just maybe improving fuel economy... I am beyond emissions testing due to age as well, so cat delete is while not entirely kosher, not entirely off the table either, however perhaps a high flow cat might be in order... I am not of the rip all the emissions stuff off mindset, but more of a make it work properly and efficiently mindset....

the Powernation 4.9 build is nice, but pretty sure overkill for what I am looking for. Just a strong efficient naturally aspirated 6 cyl.

And yes, the design between pretty much all the domestic UPRIGHT straight sixes is variation on a theme. VERY strongly built, kind of bombproof, I am not lumping the slant 6 in here as I have no experience with them, but I have had Chevy inline sixes, AMC / Jeep inline sixes, Ford inline sixes, and while none of them were fast, they were all super durable and did the job... My old CJ-7 4.2L once I yanked the lousy Carter carb off and threw a Weber on it, would pull the Guadalupe mountains with a fully loaded up pop up camper behind it and it was no different than driving through Houston on the rare occasion you could actually get UP TO the speed limit...

Yeah I am an odd duck that REALLY likes straight sixes...
Old 10-06-2023, 10:45 AM   #7

I think you'll get everything you want except fuel mileage. Almost no matter which powerplant these vans are steel boxes and none are very efficient.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I think you'll get everything you want except fuel mileage. Almost no matter which powerplant these vans are steel boxes and none are very efficient.
Not even dreaming I could approach 20+ mpg, but as long as I don't dip below the mid teens I am good. My '04 F150 5.4L 3.73 gears and 35" rubber and I know bad combo, but it gives me 19.5 to 20 on the highway, Pretty sure it is those tall gears, which also make it a pig loaded pulling steep grades.

If I got something even resembling the sticker mileage from the van, 14 city 17 highway + or - a bit I would be happy enough. Especially since I am upsizing the tires to 245/70R16 just to get some better floatation on sand and fill the wheel well out a bit better...
Old 10-06-2023, 12:34 PM   #9

The new 500 HP Jeep engine is a twin turbo...

straight six.

No more V8s.