Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #41

Re: got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

Brent, sorry to hear of your troubles with this. As you stated, Mike is a solid guy, and my dealings with him have been great. I hope you get it all worked out, and if not, swap it for the regular plug-in tuner and you should have no further issues, but of course not as many bells and whistles either.

Heck, I didn't even know Mike and SCT weren't the same company.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #42

Think I got everything squared away this am. Mike has been great and responsive and as mentioned SCT....not so much.

Used the IPAD interface yesterday for a few hours without incident. I will be on the road most of today and using it so I'll see how things go.

I was confused on the tunes sent originally. I thought there were separate Econo, Tow and Performance tunes but the files names said "PerfTow" leading me to believe they were combos and they are. Mike stated when in Tow/Haul mode it's switches to Tow Tuning and Performance when not in Tow/Haul.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
I was confused on the tunes sent originally. I thought there were separate Econo, Tow and Performance tunes but the files names said "PerfTow" leading me to believe they were combos and they are. Mike stated when in Tow/Haul mode it's switches to Tow Tuning and Performance when not in Tow/Haul.
Hmmm, now I didn't even know that, and he didn't explain. My van has an OD on/off switch on the end of the shifter, not tow/haul as the newer vans and v10s have. Perhaps it is specific to that. I have noticed that my OD on/off button didn't do anything when I was running the towing tune, so I figured it just overrode it, but now I'm curious. I'll have to contact Mike and see what exactly that button should do, and when, with the different tunes.

Thanks for that bit of info!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #44

I was just about to email him and ask for an info chart for all of us for reference....

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #45

[/quote]
Hmmm, now I didn't even know that, and he didn't explain. My van has an OD on/off switch on the end of the shifter, not tow/haul as the newer vans and v10s have.
[/quote]

OD button is for the 4 speed transmissions gas engines. The only transmission available with any gas engines until 2005 (possibly late 2004)

Tow/Haul is for the 5 speed (5R110) gas engine vans. It was optional on any engine gas vans and trucks starting in 2005 (possibly late 2004) My van is an 2008 V-10 and it was a $385 option that I think you had to buy to get the $800 V-10 option.

The 5 speed is the same basic transmission as the 6.0 diesels have with different software but the diesel shift lever also has the OD button. It started in mid 03 with the new at that time diesel engine.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #46

got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

Just got an email that 5 star is having a Labor Day Sale. Don't know the details but if anyone is on the fence it may be a good time to jump.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #47

Still having connection issues with the IPAD and the tuner module. When it works it's great but it seems 50% of the time it will not connect.

Not sure this is version is going to work out. Going to give it the weekend to see I can get it ironed out.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #48

There seems to be a lot of confusion whether or not one needs to purchase separate performance and tow programs or just a single perf/tow program. Also, there is some confusion when pressing the button for the tow/haul function. If 5 Stars perf/tow program is loaded into your vehicle, and you press tow/haul, is 5 Star's tow program in play at that point? How does it differ from their standalone tow program?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #49

got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

Towing IS performance towing, meaning you are tuned with shift points dramatically adjusted. Performance is just performance, more of an enhanced daily driving tune. As for the OD/tow haul questions, you'd have to ask Mike. I want to know more about that too.
FYI, you can only run one program at a time.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #50

Ya but. Some of the tunes listed for sale at 5-Star appear to be standalone programs such as his "2v auto- 91 octane performance" tune or the "2v auto- 91 octane tow" tune -- separate and distinct tunes for tow or performance. I went ahead and purchased the standalone "2v auto- 91 octane performance" tune and received a file called "91 perftow". With this tune loaded, I presuppose that I am in fact running the "2v auto- 91 octane performance" tune. The question arises, when I switch the vehicle over to tow/haul mode (by pressing a button on my steering column), does it switch to a tune similar to 5-Star's standalone "2v auto- 91 octane tow" tune, or something quite different?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote