Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #11

Try to avoid driving. If you must drive, try to keep avoid cold starts, and combine your trips so the fluid stays warm. Any noise it bad news, but since it goes away when it's warm, it might not be damaged yet.

I highly recommend the Magnefine filter. Once you have that in place, you don't need to drop the pan anymore.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #12

Last night I drove over to a buddy’s farm shop to drop the pan and replace the filter. The van was pretty noisy from the trans getting on the highway that morning even though I let it warm up a fair amount. I dropped the pan and pulled out the old filter, which didn’t appear to be a motorcraft part. The fluid looked good with no significant pieces of metal or chunks. There was a very faint metallic shimmer on the black backside of the filter, but the particles were not big enough to feel. I doused the new motorcraft filter with ATF and installed it. The old gasket and new looked the same. There was maybe 1/16” of “sludge” on the magnet in the pan, but it wasn’t a uniform thickness. Cleaned that off, put everything back together and refilled the fluid. Even though the shop was heated, I could tell immediately that the noise was gone when I started the van to check the level compared to when I drove in (trans good and hot). Drove out the dirt farm road like I stole it trying to keep up with my buddy in his Tacoma so I didn’t get lost. No problems. Did a 31 degree cold start this morning to drive it up on ramps to setup for the magnefine install. Seems to be solved for the most part. I did put it in reverse and hold the brake down while giving it some gas. I could hear the faintest sound, but hard to distinguish over the engine running and various other sounds like the pulleys and alternator. Nobody else would have noticed. I will continue to monitor and hope that my upcoming 600 mile trip goes smoothly.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #13

Garage
Sounds promising, hope it is resolved.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:02 PM   #14

My gut feeling, in case that would be my transmission. I’m not a pro, but someone how’s seen a transmission 3 times from the inside.

Old oil was sheared down, low viscous and didn’t transfer the pressure it’s supposed to do. Perhaps it was also slighty low. Add some bushing that are not new anymore (and there are a few!) and you might get the noise.

Larger tolerances/ worn bushings + lower viscous fluid…

But looking forward what pros say…
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote