Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #1

Help identify noise Ford cold start

I'm looking for some help from the engine experts on this forum. I'm getting a terrible noise when I cold start my van and then put the engine in gear. Actually you can kind of hear it on first start in park. I made a video so you can hear that sound. You'll see it goes away in neutral.Any idea what this could be? Sounds like a bearing or something, but I have replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley (both with motorcraft parts), and the alternator isn't 10,000 miles old yet (though it is noisy). It was 37 degrees out this morning. The sound is louder when it's colder. This will go away after the engine warms up in a couple of minutes depending on how cold it is. It's already starting to go away in the video. Trans was rebuilt less than 10k miles ago. 2001, 5.4L, 4r70W 4x4, 137k miles, sitting for 1 week before start.

I have a multi-day trip off-road trip coming up and I'm worried about something giving out on me in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the help!

https://youtube.com/shorts/GO9PZOlar7c

PS: F-you to youtube for forcing this to be a "shorts" video, making it hard to embed around the web.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #2

Start with Occum's razor stuff. It sounds like it could be tranny related cuz of change in gears but it sounds like a change due to rpm or load as well (where less magnified in neutral).

First thoughts I had - a pulley bearing (tensioner), power steering pump, water pump, even a slipping belt.

I use a cheap stethoscope to pinpoint noises but the trick to use a larger dowel also work. Need a buddy to shift through the gears with parking brake on to pinpoint.

If you think it's hard to pinpoint a rattle or stray sound on a van - try it on a Harley - often times you "hear" it on the opposite side of the bike where it comes from.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #3

Pretty sure that's transmission pump noise.

When it was rebuilt, did you an an external inline transmission oil filter?
Old 11-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, a friend had an old Exploder(Explorer) that sounded like that after the trans pan plug got knocked out off road and drained all his fluid. Check your level and that they put in the correct fluid.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #5

Thanks all. I have been all over the accessories with a stick stuck to my ear. That and the behavior with gear position makes sense that it’s trans. I installed the transmission in the van myself and I made sure to purchase the correct motorcraft ATF (like 13 qts $$$ if I remember right). The shop that rebuilt it insisted on installing a shift kit (hate it) and I had them do an upgraded torque converter. I flushed the trans cooler with that stuff in the compressed can. Ran the whole can through. Did not install an in-line filter.

I added a little more fluid the first time I heard this sound a couple of months ago, but it didn’t get any better (maybe even worse…hard to tell with the temp changes). Have not had any impacts/contacts to the trans off road. Is this pump super-bad news??
Old 11-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #6

Garage
I had a very similar sound in two other 4x4 vehicles (not the van). Initially I too suspected the trans because it was more evident while in gear. Both times turned out to be power steering pump.
When you have the engine running, and in gear, try turn the wheels both directions - does the humming sound become more pronounced? If so, this would be my direction. Otherwise, I'm with the others on the transmission since it seems noticeable only while the trans is engaged.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

I’m not a fan of shift kids on fully electronic transmissions. You can get faster shifting when you want it with programming, without the unexpected harshness. They were super beneficial on the older E4OD.

Anyways…. Ford requires an online filter for warranty purposes if you installed one of their remans, unless you also replaced both coolers. If your prior transmission fully self destructed, it’s basically impossible to get all the debris out of both coolers. It’s also possible one or both coolers are have obstructions and could be constructing flow, which will also cause the pump to whine. Does the whine go away after the fluid warms up?

Also do you remember which ATF grade you used?
Old 11-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
If your prior transmission fully self destructed, it’s basically impossible to get all the debris out of both coolers. It’s also possible one or both coolers are have obstructions and could be constructing flow, which will also cause the pump to whine. Does the whine go away after the fluid warms up?

Also do you remember which ATF grade you used?
The trans was fine before the rebuild. Just wanted to take care of any preventive maintenance when putting in the 4x4 output shaft. When he got it apart, the trans guy found one bushing on the planetary gear set was show a small amount of wear so the whole set was replaced to be on the safe side.

Yes, the whine does go away after the fluid warms up. On sub-freezing nights it takes maybe 30 seconds of driving (if you just start it up and throw it in drive), which seems like a long time when you’re experiencing it.

I found the receipt for the trans fluid. I put in 12 qts of Motorcraft Mercon V. I went over to the trans shop after that and we were checking it out. The fluid level was a bit low, so I think he added another quart of generic brand Mercon V.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #9

Ok, based you that rebuild history, I think you're right that debris probably isn't a likely factor. And that is the correct fluid. No worries on generic fluid, as long as it's Mercon-V spec, and not Dex/Merc.

I think it wouldn't hurt to drop that pan, and to a filter swap. I've seen issues like this caused by a poorly fitted seal. When fluid is cold, its obviously a little thicker, and a nicked or hard seal, will cause it so suck in a little air. If you go with an aftermarket, go with Napa gold at least. Most of the cheaper aftermarket filter use a cheaper material for that seal. Plus, it would give you a chance to check for debris.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #10

Thanks, I will get going on that asap. I have read a few places that it’s urgent to get pump issues taken care of to avoid catastrophic damage due to low fluid pressure. Would you recommend avoiding driving until the filter change, or is it ok to drive it for a while?
Also, I have been eyeing the threads here on the in-line magnefine filter. Probably should pull the trigger on that. Any other recommended items?