Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Is it on the passengers side? If so, how/where does the drivers side connect into it?
It's on the pax side just before the muffler. There's a Y-pipe (actually more like a crummy T pipe, stock) before the cat. Still crosses over in the wrong spot for 4x4, but super easy to swap out with the 4x4 crossover from a pickup.

But.... it's huge, which = lots of metal = lots of $$$. Mine's a CA model, which last I checked was almost $2,500 for a replacement. The newer ones probably work better with less metal because the EGTs at the cat are higher.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #22

Thanks CarringB, yes that's exactly how mine is. I'll be keeping the stock cat, even though it's a little rusty, because last time I replaced one with a high flow, smaller mail order one, it got really loud inside, even with a decent muffler. That's great info about the 4x pickup crossover pipe. I'll be looking into that when I convert my van. I've been wondering about it anyway. I hate to rub it in but I'm so glad that here in TN we don't have all the emissions crap to worry with. I don't really approve of NO cats but I don't like the idea of the government peering under my skirt to see what's there.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #23

Garage
Thanks Carringb, and what exactly is the difference between the 2wd and 4wd in that area? Would it be hitting the transfer case selector lever stuff?

86Scotty - Ya, its annoying to have to deal with it. I dont want to remove the cats, I just wanted them out of the way. Going from a tuned and deleted diesel to a gas van with all the emissions stuff intact it was nice to be able to breath when standing by the van. I never realized how much my truck stunk and now feel kinda bad for everyone that was behind me with their AC on! ha ha

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Yep, I had a 4.0 Jeep Wrangler a couple years back that I bought with no cat, replaced with straight pipe. It was unbearable with the top down, which is the only reason to have a Jeep IMO. I surprised the muffler shop by actually asking them to put a cat back on, the opposite of the question they are usually asked. It slowed the Jeep down some but at least we could breath.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #25

Basically the 4x4 crossover is under the transmission. The 2wd crossover rear ward more, next to the crossmember, pretty much where the T case would sit. The 2wd setup actually is more protected, but Ford's thought was probably that you'd have to drag the axle over something first to hit the exhaust.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #26

Garage
Carringb - Oh ok I understand now, I like how quadvan did it where they routed it just in front of the oil pan in that dead space. So the truck y pipe should fit on these 6.8L vans? Is the frame setup the same as the trucks?

86Scotty - Ya it took me about 3 different vehicles before I learned that its ok to not touch the exhaust. I first did a 1979 GMC 1500 exhaust straight piped... drove that cross country from VA to AZ and decided I hated it. Then I did a 2005 Tacoma with a louder muffler. Drove it fine around town but on long trips the drone was brutal. Then the F250, the sound deadening was the first thing I did on the van, it already needs it before even touching the exhaust.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Truck y pipe fitst the older V10s with the single cat. I don't know about the newer vans.

Frames are not the same. Vans frames are wider.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I hate to rub it in but I'm so glad that here in TN we don't have all the emissions crap to worry with. I don't really approve of NO cats but I don't like the idea of the government peering under my skirt to see what's there.

Too funny 86!
I was told the same here in WV- a tad bit more lax on the inspections.

Hmmm I've been seeing lots of men in kilts recently- you wear one?
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #29

Na, I've got some Irish/Scottish blood but I'm gonna stick with board shorts........and my Nike flip flops.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #30

Well I hope those a re OSHA approved flip flops