Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
I called up Jasper and asked about what exactly they did to their remanufactured triton engines that make them "better" than Ford remans and the person who I spoke with said that they use a high volume oil pump and re-machine (and add more threads to) the spark thread plugs to try to eliminate the known issues with spark plug blow out.
The plug thread thing sounds at best supicious---how does one add threads to an existing spark plug hole that can't be built up in its depth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
...the 2 valve engines don't suffer from the same low pressure oil issue that the 3V engines do.
For the most part that is true---the 3v have more valve train components that experience issues that are either troublesome performance-wise or cost a ton of money to repair. A great reading source would be FTE as they have an entire sub-forum dedicated to the Modular Motors where the 3V engines are often discussed. Its eye opening that a so-called "better, new improved." engine has so many problems, its also interesting there are so many after market fixes available for those "better" engines.

BTW Mr Anderson--check your PM's.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #12

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...rd-triton-v10/
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #13

I have a Jasper in my rig. It's a 6.0 psd but the difference from the Ford reman is that they use ARP headstuds. So, they do some things different from what you might get sourced from Ford which is probably an aftermarket supplier that meets their standard. Question is how high is that standard these days?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Let's trade links then: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ead-heads.html

The only blub I found in that article was found under Cylinder Head castings ID'd as 1C2E. I've always contended ejected spark plugs were due two things: faulty initial installation (factory) and/or the ridiculously low torque value of 7-13 ft/lbs Ford's WSM spec's called for. My friend the mobile fleet mechanic who's responsible for about 55 E-Series vehicles of years including nearly every one produced up through 2013 tells me the ejected plugs DO still exist albeit a much less frequent rate in the years after 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Question is how high is that standard these days?
That is a great question and one we'd all like to know before sinking a lot of money into something that might be all hype and next to nothing in substance.

Re: Ford reman's----the earlier 2V engines along with all other Modular Motors could develop issues with the timing chain guides wearing prematurely causing its own set of problems. Ford does use their newer "better" design chain guides on engines they re-manufacture--I'm sure one reason is that's all they have available these days. This was a running change so quickly found its way into production, the repair parts functions and naturally the read-to-go reman'd engines Ford sold.

My point is any change or improvement when/if made tend to follow updated parts or corrections made after field reports tell Ford there is a problem or area of concern. I am slightly skeptical Jasper spec's significantly different parts than those already designed and put into production by Ford. That skepticism includes any part Jasper would use that's different from Ford is because they can have them produced cheaper and be at least as effective. That's not a bad thing but it is highly likely the reason.

As for the ARP studs in diesel engines---that's smart move on any diesel reman or head service.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote