Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2023, 01:08 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan89 View Post
Twoxentrix - Any details on the quick disconnects you have on the rear sway bar, Im looking into fitting one but don't want to sacrifice offroad abilities - disconnects would be ideal!
Unfortunately they were not something pre-made, the Shop I use is very talented & creative, they fabricated the quick disconnects.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I finally got this rear sway bar installed and a test drive. It made a very positive improvement in cornering and cross wind performance, on the pavement. Mrs. dhally could even feel the improvement sitting in the passenger seat (less roll). Haven't tested it on rough roads yet to see if we feel more bumps.

I had to get the bolts to attach the links to the frame at the Ford dealer - $30 for 2 bolts, 2 nuts, plus tax. Ouch! But, they worked perfectly. The holes were already in the frame. The driver side was really tight to get a wrench on the nut, with the fuel tank and brake lines in the way.

The old bushings looked OK. I figure I can always replace them or upgrade to polyurethane later if they get sloppy.

The used sway bar is 1-1/8" diameter and came off a 1996 E350 cutaway chassis.

Attachment 43782
Looking to add a rear sway bar as well. Do you recall the source of the U-shaped brackets and the U-bolts that mount the bar to the axle? I see a few kits online, but the prices are kind of crazy for what it is.

Would an exhaust pipe clamp do the job?
Attached Thumbnails
2023-11-07_063218.jpg  
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #23

Garage
I too couldn't find the right ubolts, ended up getting them from Hellwig. Required modifying the used OEM bushing brackets so they fit onto the ubolts.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:43 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Looking to add a rear sway bar as well. Do you recall the source of the U-shaped brackets and the U-bolts that mount the bar to the axle? I see a few kits online, but the prices are kind of crazy for what it is.

Would an exhaust pipe clamp do the job?
I wouldn't trust an exhaust clamp as I don't believe the metal is not strong enough for such usage.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #25

Does anyone know which Ford trucks came standard with rear bars that will fit the vans? For example, should I look for any F350 or F450? Did every Super Duty come with a rear bar? ... etc etc
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:17 AM   #26

Every Super Duty did not come with a rear sway bar.
Mine, however, did.

I subsequently upgraded to a Hellwig.

For everyone elses information, the helwig, on the softest setting was equivalent to the OEM sway bar. It had 2 other settings that were stiffer than OEM.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote