Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2024, 07:28 PM   #1

Searching in Socal for full float axle upgrade where and what to look for?

Hello,

I have a 2006 Ford E350 Quigley EB350 with a semi-float rear axle and wheel spacers.

Looking to upgrade to a full float axle and leaning on my fellow owners that have already went down this path.

What axle should I be looking for that won't break the bank and with ease of install in mind?

Where in Socal should I be looking?

Are there shops with rebuilt ones or am I limited to used ones at a wrecking yard?

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:05 AM   #2

I used a D60 on my full float swap but that requires use of the same spacers to keep a similar wms-wms. If you can find a D70 it's a little beefier and you may not need spacers.

Your best bet is to start with salvage yards and do a rebuild. But if money is no object you could source a D60 from dynatrac or a sterling from Ujoint. The sterling has a different wheel bolt pattern but I'm not sure what a Quigly uses. https://www.ujointoffroad.com/produc...-axle-stage-3/

There's quite a few axle threads in this forum. Here's one with lots of info: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ime-30954.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I used a D60 on my full float swap but that requires use of the same spacers to keep a similar wms-wms. If you can find a D70 it's a little beefier and you may not need spacers.

Your best bet is to start with salvage yards and do a rebuild. But if money is no object you could source a D60 from dynatrac or a sterling from Ujoint. The sterling has a different wheel bolt pattern but I'm not sure what a Quigly uses. https://www.ujointoffroad.com/produc...-axle-stage-3/

There's quite a few axle threads in this forum. Here's one with lots of info: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ime-30954.html
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info.

The rear axles on our vans are all stock Ford axles with 8x6.5, but maybe some SMB factories through on spacers for aesthetics or installed spacer adapters (8x170mm) if Quigley through on a F-series front end with 8x170mm.

Yeah, I went through most of the threads.

CarringB mentioned 99-01 e350 SRW as being the years to look for since they had disc brakes and were non RSC?

Or, seek out 99-07 SRW cutaway (rear tank)?

Which vehicles came with the D70?

Sounds like if I find a full floating axle from a 99-01 SRW E350 the only modification needed is to weld on bottom shock mounts?

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #4

I sent you a PM.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb View Post
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info.

The rear axles on our vans are all stock Ford axles with 8x6.5, but maybe some SMB factories through on spacers for aesthetics or installed spacer adapters (8x170mm) if Quigley through on a F-series front end with 8x170mm.

Yeah, I went through most of the threads.

CarringB mentioned 99-01 e350 SRW as being the years to look for since they had disc brakes and were non RSC?

Or, seek out 99-07 SRW cutaway (rear tank)?

Which vehicles came with the D70?

Sounds like if I find a full floating axle from a 99-01 SRW E350 the only modification needed is to weld on bottom shock mounts?

Yes, I think either the SRW cutaway or an E450 but I'm no drivetrain expert. The D60 I sourced from a salvage yard in Phoenix was out of a 99 or 00 van and was basically plug and play although I did a complete rebuild anyway and also re-welded the shock mounts to the lower location. I also replaced the axles with a 35 spline from Dutchman after confirming the required lengths.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:48 AM   #6

Depending on what your front axle is, it makes sense to use a Sterling 10.5 out of a late-model F350. Correct width and bolt pattern to match a superduty front axle, big honkin disk brakes, e-locker after 2011, etc.

My van is set up with 2014 Superduty axles front and rear and to me that is way nicer than a mismatched axle and spacers. There were a lot of improvements in the brakes that happened along the way too.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote