Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #151

Re: Transmission Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I rarely move over 30 MPH in low range (2 or 4 wheel drive). I don't know what advanced adaptors suggests but it probably depends on the overall gearing on the drive train. In steep situations I move in 4x4 to reduce heavy loads on the rear diff/axle. I do see a reduced trany temp in low range but slow crawling (5-10 mph) is still a problem in my vehicle. "WHEN" the fan is set to cycle on might be where Rob and I differ. (Rob I thought you are running a tunner, but I might be wrong) I'm stock. It's possible that my fan might engage at a higher temp than those with tunners...I just don't know. Every vehicle is different. I have a Starcool and that be what's causing the problem as well. Like I said, I just don't know but it needs to be addressed.
No tuner here Dave, so I assume my settings are stock. I also don't exceed 30mph in low range, but have driven 60-80 miles in low range several times (saline valley road). Aside from lower tranny temps, I find it also makes for a smoother ride, and I also almost always engage 4x4 too. Not sure when my cooling fan kicks on, but I think it is 215 for the radiator.
R

Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #152

Transmission Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Not sure what I will do for the SMB --- definitely thinking about a temp gauge. I like the Mag Hytec pan but worried a bit about ground clearance. The LE oil is great but it is important to fully drain and bleed the torque converter.
I was also worried about ground clearance. SMB West sells a skid plate that covers from the engine to the transmission. With the weight of the van, I have no idea how it will fare if/when I ever put it to the test. But, better than nothing...

That being said, I didn't get a noticeable drop in temps until I added the aux cooler w/electric fan.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311573171.400218.jpg  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
That's a good surprise. Now I wonder what the cutoff is.

Mike
So I read this thread and saw 2 different people (2001 and 2000) that had Scangauges, but then other claims that Scangauge would not work (even if reprogrammed) for pre-03/04 vehicles.

I have a 2002 V10/4R100, want to know for sure which temp gauge solution will work on my rig.

Any thoughts on ScanGaugeII vs Edge Insight?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #154

You could check the ScanGauge site for current information. When I checked last week they had added several features (codes) for the 6.0, including FICM voltage.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #155

FWIW I have a scangauge on our '02 7.3L/4R100 and both Trans Temp and Water Temp can be programmed in. Can't say if the V10 is different.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
FWIW I have a scangauge on our '02 7.3L/4R100 and both Trans Temp and Water Temp can be programmed in. Can't say if the V10 is different.
OK, ordered the ScanGaugeII, will see how it goes. I guess another benefit is getting a tachometer.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Quote:
Not sure what I will do for the SMB --- definitely thinking about a temp gauge. I like the Mag Hytec pan but worried a bit about ground clearance. The LE oil is great but it is important to fully drain and bleed the torque converter.
I was also worried about ground clearance. SMB West sells a skid plate that covers from the engine to the transmission. With the weight of the van, I have no idea how it will fare if/when I ever put it to the test. But, better than nothing...

That being said, I didn't get a noticeable drop in temps until I added the aux cooler w/electric fan.
For anyone wondering, the Mag Hytec 4R100 pan is 6-1/8" high, and the stock pan is about 3-1/2" high.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #158
Site Team

Garage

I was thinking mine was a mag Hytec but its not. I'm running BD Power

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #159

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
That's a good surprise. Now I wonder what the cutoff is.

Mike
So I read this thread and saw 2 different people (2001 and 2000) that had Scangauges, but then other claims that Scangauge would not work (even if reprogrammed) for pre-03/04 vehicles.

I have a 2002 V10/4R100, want to know for sure which temp gauge solution will work on my rig.

Any thoughts on ScanGaugeII vs Edge Insight?
The ScanGaugeII seems to show believable temperatures (via the relevant xgauge) on a '99 V10.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 AM   #160

2000 7.3 EB Quigley 4x4 with the Diamond Eye 4” Turbo Back Exhaust using Edge readout for Tranny Temps:

As I had mentioned in a previous post heading up the switchbacks into Sequoia my Edge Tranny Temp readout showed 237 at one point near the top. Normal freeway driving in So Cal would be around 165-180 on the Edge. In the hills or off-roading in 90-105 degree heat the tranny would fluctuate between 185 and 215 depending on how hard the engine was working and if there were hills involved.

Had a chance to take my van over to South Bay Autocare to look into a solution for lowering tranny temps. They work on an average of 1 or 2 SMBs every few weeks and I had them do a complete fluid change when I first bought my van. After the test drive Hubert used the laser temp gun to take a few readings. There appeared to be around a 20 degree difference in temp reading between the bottom of the pan and what the Edge was reading.

We believe the Edge is using the stock temp pickup sensor which another member said was most likely in the PCM located away from the bottom of the pan. Where the pan was giving a reading of 144, higher up on the side of the tranny was 165, same as what the Edge was reading. So if that ratio holds somewhat true my 237 was more likely around 217 at the pan.

After discussing options for lowering tranny temps we settled on a remote mounted Aux Tranny cooler with built in fan and possible exhaust wrap if needed. The only place it would fit cleanly and safely was near the stock battery on the frame. They did a great job on the install and added a protective shield on the bottom to help prevent debris from hitting the cooler. Hubert initially decided to hook up the new Aux Tranny cooler and fan only, by passing the stock radiator and stock aux cooler routing.

Flex A Lite Aux Tranny Cooler with Fan

Side view of Aux cooler tucked out of the way

FAIL. While I wasn’t initially comfortable with disconnecting the stock setup I am not a mechanic and Hubert has installed these before on other vehicles so I was willing to give it a shot. On the way home I took the canyon with various grades of climbing and a few stop lights to put a good load on the tranny. The outside temps were 90-100 and the tranny worked its way to a high of 228 on the edge, not good. It didn’t matter if I had the Aux cooler fan on or not. This was the closest I could get to simulate a desert outing or typical mountain drive.

Dropped the van back off where Hubert reconnected the stock rad hookup, stock aux cooler routing followed by the new Aux cooler with fan. In addition he spaced the aux cooler out a little more and wrapped from the turbo to behind the tranny with the hi-temp exhaust wrap. After driving the van for a few days through the canyon with outside temps even hotter than before, in the 100-105 range. Tranny temp on the Edge readout hit a high of 201 with the Aux cooler fan on and 208 without the fan. This is with the engine clutch fan coming on a few times as well. If it is about 20 degrees difference in the pan temps vs Edge then that would mean around 180-190 for a pan reading, well within range for those conditions. This solution should more that work.

Exhaust Wrap

What I didn’t expect was to see my EGTs go down so much from the exhaust wrap. Since the 7.3 in the van has no intercooler you really have to watch it as EGTs used to be in the 850-1000 range a lot of the time with normal driving and mild aggressive acceleration or climbing hills. Now with the wrap and same driving style it stays in the 650-900 range. I really notice a difference when getting on it a bit. Where it would jump to between 1000 and 1100 it now will stay in the high 900s. I wonder if wrapping it back to further would help more?

Since this solution wasn’t cheap my advice is to try the exhaust wrap first and see if that helps enough. I wish I would have. If not, then look into another Aux Tranny cooler with a fan and find a safe place to mount it. Although the fan does help, especially when sitting idle, Hubert is going to call the vendor and make sure it is doing as much as it should. When researching I found a lot of the truck folks used the stock 6.0 tranny cooler on their 7.3s. This might also be an option to try for some if it fits in the vans. I hope this was some help to others…
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote