Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #141

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat
OK, I sure could use a drawing showing the intended oil routing and how the flow of the two filters is designed to work. And maybe one showing how it would work (or not) when the lines are installed wrong. All this discussion of various routings and with and without valves has been too much for my brain to keep track of...
Think of a two parallel tubes drilled in a flat block of aluminum. The machining inside the circular filter gasket mating surface exposes part of the inlet tube to the outside ring of holes of spin-on filter. The bypass filter is first. The oil travels into the filter cans but outside the filter element. It is pushed into the center of the filter where the hollow spin-on fastener provides a return path to the outlet tube. The spring loaded restrictor valve regulates the pressure in the inlet tube. As it is pushed back and provides the full flow filter a larger supply opening the pressure drops and the spring pushes it back. It reaches some equalibrium position. The hole in the center of the plug will always provide at least 25% flow to the full flow filter. The flow through the by-pass filter is completely dependent on the pressure in the inlet supply.
Maybe that helps?
Pat

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Today, I reversed the lines on my '07 RB-50, changed the two filters and removed the spring loaded restrictor. The restrictor is simply a reducer bushing that makes the ID for oil flow smaller, but not that much. The filter block oil passage ID is .60" and the ID of the restrictor is .30", so I'm getting better oil flow now, and in the correct direction. I doubt that will be a problem.
Jeffrey,

Since you changed the filters (are you using a Donaldson?) and removed the restrictor, next time you run the engine for 15 minutes or more, can you check to see if both filters are warm? That will tell me that even without the restrictor, that both filters are getting fairly significant oil flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanduytG
daveb

Jim was the original designer of the adapter. Then SMB refined it. Jim showed me the orginal at a direct jobbers convention in FL a few years ago.

Here is a link to the Donaldson catalog that tells about the filter that is being recommended by Jim. https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebS ... item=12291
If you look you can see it has the anti drain back valve and a built in pressure relief set at 18-20 psi.
I for one would be a very POed person if I had a new motor oil system hooked up backwards. The anti draw back is a check valve and even though it might have let some oil through it still bypassed a lot of it as well.

Greg
Greg,

If Jim was the original designer of the adapter, isn't he fairly well qualified to recommend removal of the restrictor?

Herb
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ADAPTOR IS NOT THE FILTER HEAD WHERE THE RESTRICTOR IS.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #143
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Pat
Agreed, but given that Jim has been an Amsoil rep for years, and has direct access to the senior-most techs at Amsoil, to the best of my knowledge, he's the most qualified person so far to make a recommendation.

Herb
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #144

Quote:
Quote:
Pat
Agreed, but given that Jim has been an Amsoil rep for years, and has direct access to the senior-most techs at Amsoil, to the best of my knowledge, he's the most qualified person so far to make a recommendation.

Herb
That is your choice. I am at "peace" with leaving it in.

If Jim is still following this I would be curious to know if the anti drain flap is a recent improvement to the filters. Maybe the last 2 years. I know that my original filters used to get really hot.

On the reverse flow situation. I sending my oil sample in to Blackstone tomorrow and will post the results when I get it back. I will be able to compare them to 2 other samples (normal with high silicone) but also with reverse flow. I do not believe this 5000 mile sample got any filtering at all.

Pat
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #145

Quote:
Quote:
Pat

Herb

Jim is a fine fellow but he has no more access to the tech department than joe blow off the street. You guys suit yourself on this. All I see is no one getting anything in writing on what to do and when the motor takes a crap because the oil system has been modified who do you think is going to pay for it? Has anyone here talked with SMB or Amsoil to get this in writing and if so why is it not in writing. I can tell you why because if it does get put in writing and something happens they will then be responsible and neither SMB or Amsoil wants that. You guys suit yourself but if it was my motor I know what I would do. By the way Jim has been and Amsoil dealer about long as I have. I won't recommend any kind of a change from design on my own that I can tell you.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #146

At least the people who remove the valve still get oil filtering. If the full flow ever clogs up the bypass will start filtering more. This is still a thousand times better than the low / no flow situation I had with the reverse hookup and the very effective anti drain valves in my last filters. At a minimum with removing the valve you should be getting the equivalent of a stock setup. It seems silly to me to modify a system to make it be less effective than what it was designed to do.
Pat
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #147

Thanks for the Forum, or I would have never found out about this problem. 07,6.0 diesel, built by SMB West, spring of 07. Jim has been great to help me fix the problem.. Mine was wrong also. Droping ALL the amsoil, and filters.. starting with new everything. Remove the sping behind the white oil filter tonight, and reversing the adapter plate lines.. Jim says, "don't change the lines until you put new filters on". What ever is in the filters would be reversed and would flow though the engine. Reverse the lines on the adapter plate and use 7/8 wrench, with TELFON TAPE. Hope this helps someone else.. Gene
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #148
Site Team

MY WISHLIST

1) I would love something in writing from Sportsmobile West on the restrictor issue.

2) I would love something in writing from Amsoil on the restrictor issue.

3) I would love 1) and 2) to be a joint letter/Technical Service Bulletin.

4) I would settle for 1) and 2) to be in agreement.

5) I would love something in writing from Amsoil on the shift from the EA0-26 filter to the Donaldson P553411. Every Amsoil application guide I see still references the EA0-26 filter.

Herb
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #149

I completely agree with Herb regarding the wish list. I'm still waiting on some kind of finalized recommendation from SMB and/or AMSOIL before I go through the trouble of making all the changes (I only want to do it once). I actually sent Peter an email regarding the restrictor, but never heard back. I have a feeling that SMB is still trying to figure out their position on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Atl.Beach
Reverse the lines on the adapter plate and use 7/8 wrench, with TELFON TAPE. Hope this helps someone else.. Gene
Gene - that is completely different than what the instruction from AMSOIL recommend. Here is their instructions:

Quote:
5. Using two 7?8 wrenches, tighten hose fitting swivel nuts and swivel
nuts on angle fittings (if used) to 525-575 inch pounds or from finger tight,
rotate an additional 60° or 1?6 of a turn. Note: Do not use any form of
thread sealant anywhere on the hose or angle fittings.
I tried attaching the PDF, but it was too large (478kb).
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
I completely agree with Herb regarding the wish list. I'm still waiting on some kind of finalized recommendation from SMB and/or AMSOIL before I go through the trouble of making all the changes (I only want to do it once). I actually sent Peter an email regarding the restrictor, but never heard back. I have a feeling that SMB is still trying to figure out their position on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Atl.Beach
Reverse the lines on the adapter plate and use 7/8 wrench, with TELFON TAPE. Hope this helps someone else.. Gene
Gene - that is completely different than what the instruction from AMSOIL recommend. Here is their instructions:

Quote:
5. Using two 7?8 wrenches, tighten hose fitting swivel nuts and swivel
nuts on angle fittings (if used) to 525-575 inch pounds or from finger tight,
rotate an additional 60° or 1?6 of a turn. Note: Do not use any form of
thread sealant anywhere on the hose or angle fittings.
I tried attaching the PDF, but it was too large (478kb).
Been pipe fitting and using flare fittings for almost 30 years and have never used a sealer on flare fittings. Once in awhile use anti seize and this is a time it should be used.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote