Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #161

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

Greg, the original, stock oil filter on the 2007 Ford 6.0 was basically in the wheel well of the front driver side and completely unprotected. While this is probably fine for highway/road use, it was a terrible location for offroad use. The location of the dual filter Amsoil system is much more protected. Regardless of the benefits of the Amsoil system from a filtration standpoint, just moving the stock filtration to a safer location was reason enough for us to include it in our build.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Greg, the original, stock oil filter on the 2007 Ford 6.0 was basically in the wheel well of the front driver side and completely unprotected. While this is probably fine for highway/road use, it was a terrible location for offroad use. The location of the dual filter Amsoil system is much more protected. Regardless of the benefits of the Amsoil system from a filtration standpoint, just moving the stock filtration to a safer location was reason enough for us to include it in our build.

Just talked with a friend that does all Ford work and he did tell me the van filter was not on top like the trucks. Sorry for the mistake. But it still does not change my view on the other issues with the filter and restrictor.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #163
Site Team

Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #164

Lately I haven't felt so bad about not having Amsoil...
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #165

Wow! What an issue. I switched my lines, took out restrictor, used no telon tape, run 5-40 mobil 1 , and used a fram replacement for donald (they are a pain to find ). No leaks, both filters hot,change both filters at 5000 miles, seems fine to me.... Problem is, oil related problems won't show up 60000, 70000 miles.. People here have done oil analysis with lines reversed and still had good reports. No worries

P.S. If Ford finds about this crap the will never warrant the engines. I would change oil at 5000 miles.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #166
Site Team

Called Amsoil this morning, and spoke with Brian K(for privacy, I'd rather not post anyone's last name in a forum). I let him know that I had a 2006 Ford E350-based Sportsmobile with a 6.0L diesel engine, and the Sportsmobile installed bypass filtration kit. Brian made it very clear that Sportsmobile uses Amsoil parts for the bypass filtration kit, but that it's a Sportsmobile design for the auxiliary filtering. In retrospect, this may explain why the Amsoil application guides do not seem to correlate exactly to our SMBs.

--------------------------

Here are my direct questions, and Brian's answers. These are NOT quotes from Brian, but are close.

What filters do you recommend?
As long as things are connected properly, the EA026 and the BP100. The Donaldson P553411 is a good choice too.

Is the restrictor thermally controlled or pressure controlled?
Pressure controlled.

Do you recommend removal of the restrictor?
That's absolutely fine.

What oil (Amsoil) do you recommend for the Ford 6.0L diesels?
Amsoil diesel 15W40

When was the new filter head without the restrictor introduced?
Middle of last year, but I can't say when Sportsmobile starting using it. That's Jim Fleschner's area.

Do you recommend teflon tape on the connections?
Not on the hose to adapter nipple connection, but on the adapter nipple to filter head connection.

---------------------------

My course of action:
Blackstone oil analysis on existing oil (will post results when received)
Correct the hose routing at the hose to nipple adapter connection (no teflon tape)
Full filter change (EABP100/Donaldson P553411)
Remove the restrictor
Full oil change (Amsoil diesel 15w40)

Herb
Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #167

Very interesting thread.

If my understanding is correct, if you add only by-pass filter to your engine: Oil and oil pressure comes from the oil pressure sending unit port ( filtered oil at 40-70 psi depending on ...)and the return line from the by-pass filter is plumed directly into the oil fill tube. The result is you have full oil pressure across the by-pass filter and enough oil makes it through the restrictive by-pass filter (need the restriction to get down to 0.1-1.0 micron). Typical (?) is by-pass filter will super clean about 6 quarts of oil every 5 to 10 minutes.

So how does one move the full flow oil filter AND the by-pass filter to a separate steel plate with only two oil lines? Is that were this "restricter" comes in?

Full engine oil pressure across the by-pass filter is required to get 1.2 qts/min of clean oil [probably wrong on this - probably a restricter to limit the amount of oil being diverted from the engine] . How much oil is going through the Sportsmobile system?

When the hoses are replumed correctly has anyone cut open an old full flow filter to see if the filter element has been blown/ruptured because of the backward flow? Also does the full flow filter have an anti-drain back valve built into it? I would think if it does no flow would be going through the full flow filter and that a block (?) installed filter by-pass valve is preventing the engine from being oil starved by oroviding unfiltered oil to the engine.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #168

OK, Everyone, this is Jim again. I need to let everyone know, PLEASE DO NOT CALL AMSOIL REGARDING THIS ISSUE. IT IS NOT AN AMSOIL ISSUE. It is a SMB issue. I have given explicit instructions on how to deal with this issue which is a very simple issue. It is not complicated as some people are making it out to be. Call me or call SMB. I will be very happy to talk to you about this issue. Thank you very much for your cooperation on this matter. My # is 714-390-7873.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgreatoil
OK, Everyone, this is Jim again. I need to let everyone know, PLEASE DO NOT CALL AMSOIL REGARDING THIS ISSUE. IT IS NOT AN AMSOIL ISSUE. It is a SMB issue. I have given explicit instructions on how to deal with this issue which is a very simple issue. It is not complicated as some people are making it out to be. Call me or call SMB. I will be very happy to talk to you about this issue. Thank you very much for your cooperation on this matter. My # is 714-390-7873.
I think everyone here understands that they need to change filters and swap the lines so I'm not sure what you are referring to here.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #170

Thanks for the PM and additional info Jim.

I got my analysis results back from Blackstone. I had explained the possibility that I got only minimal filtering for the 5000 miles on the oil. I have comparisons to two other samples and they were all very close, of course the other oil samples had more miles on it. I took the sample after I swapped hoses, replaced the filters, added 2.5 qts and put 25 miles on.
Here are the comments.

Quote:
PAT: Thanks for the note about the filter. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use, and blow-by) were a
little higher at 0.3% in this sample but that's still a pretty low reading. It looks like your filter was working a
little better than you gave it credit for. Wear continues to look good in this sample and we don't think that
you'd have a problem running this oil longer, if you decide to do so. A trace of fuel was found but this isn't a
problem level, nor is the low viscosity a problem. No other harmful contaminants were found. Everything
looks pretty good here.

I have sinced drained another quart off. I plan to top it off and run it another 5000 miles since I will have added about 5 new quarts at that time.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote