Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Here's a shot of the external filter housing on my 5R110 on my 2007 with the V10. It takes a Motorcraft FT-145 filter.
Attachment 45887
That's the one!

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Interesting, I wonder why mine doesn't have one?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Interesting, I wonder why mine doesn't have one?
It's easy to twist the lines when changing the filter. Maybe it got removed for that reason?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #14

Can’t talk about 5R110, but 4R75E with 270k. What I learned during my rebuild:
- snap rings can break
- overdrive and reverse bands start eating up the drums
- bearings don’t get better over time
- bushing surely show the same
- there also billet drum (made from full material instead of stamped metal sheet…)
- checkballs break
- accumulators sealings wear
- springs start setting
-…

Not knowing tour transmission and putting “all the good experience aside”:
If you’re able to pull the tranny and are not afraid of playi g tetris with 100 pictures: it makes sense.

I’m really happy that I did my rebuild! (See my post about it)

Beside all the oil that spilled over my driveway I’d do it again!
I watched a youtube video of a transmission shop: 45min out and disassemble, 1.5h back together and in.
The third time it took me 1h to take out and disassemble (w/o proper tools) and 3h assemble and back in.
(Yeah… did one mistake as I wasn’t precise enough… MEASURE CLUTCH PLAY!))

Feel free to reach for some experience, but today I’m not afraid of a cheap car with a broken tranny ;-)
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Feel free to reach for some experience, but today I’m not afraid of a cheap car with a broken tranny ;-)
Kudo for your accomplishment.

I personally am too intimidated by some of the videos I have watched to undertake something like that.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #16

I am experiencing a TC shudder. It get pretty violent too. Happened to me twice, the first time I had no idea what happened. After some research and a second issue, now I know it was TC shudder. My transmission guru said he will not touch that transmission (5r110) since he has no experience on it. They just do not need rebuilt. He did say I could throw money at a new TC, or just do a complete service on the fluid first. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I only have 86k on this 2007 6.0L E350.
SilverSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmurf View Post
I am experiencing a TC shudder. I.
For those (like me) that needed to look it up.....

https://www.lifeautomotive.com/artic...cur%20smoothly.

This stuff seems to work wonders.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Lubegard 19610 Instant Shudder Fixx is another great product for this sort of thing. It's not an all-time permanent fix but good to go a bit longer before a rebuild becomes necessary.

The best practice is doing a full fluid exchange or "flush" every 30K miles or so with a high quality and specified AFT. I'd also add an external if one doesn't already exist.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #19

My 5R110 has a whirring sound when not in full lockup.

That normal? 150k exactly on it right now.

It had never had the fluid changed until I did it recently, and the fluid was almost black. I am going to do another fluid change next week too.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I'd also add an external if one doesn't already exist.
I added both the Wix and Magnefine in front of the radiator. I think they are free-flowing enough to put in series. They are plumbed at the output of the OE transmission cooler so there are no hardline changes required. When I drained the transmission I blew thru the return line (back toward the transmission) to push that last bit of fluid into the trans pan. So I should have no more residual fluid and it is equivalent to removing the hardline return line.
  • Derale 13090 Transmission Filter Kit
  • WIX 51515XP XP Oil Filter
  • Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Power Steering Filter

You can add a temperature sensor (will need to be drilled and tapped) to the filter housing or buy them that way.

I added the drain plug you have recommended and so will be maintaining a regular full fluid replacement schedule.

One thing to be aware of that I ran afoul of is that when you R&R a bumper, the screw-in mounts on the bumper are mounted in rubber so DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN bumper mounting bolts. Otherwise, you only need to remove the bumper to do the install bout for any further filter changes. I did need to make a small bracket to mount to the driver-side radiator mounts.

The total miles on my 2000 E-350 XLT is 300K but the transmission looks rebuilt (very clean exterior). I don't know much of the history but the rear end was rebuilt (probably in place) and from what I read the transmissions don't typically last this long. After the idler pully changes the engine sounds great and ran well when I initially test-drove it.

When I swapped the fluid it was pretty black although not burnt. I got nervous after reading about horror stories about failed transmissions after a complete flush. The only problem I ran into (after the flush) was backing up the transmission would lock up and stall the V-10 I put in the Lucus and the problem was immediately gone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5284.jpg