Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

For mounting an eu, I found these guys: https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com/ They sell on amazon as well, but have not seen one in person.

My van has a generator box on the side, for an onan-ish unit, that's not tall enough for a eu2000i. I'm debating extending it downward (it's semi-open to the bottom), or building a box for a swing out arm. Either way, I'm using this as an excuse to finally buy a welder.

I don't disagree with wanting something smaller, but at this point the obvious options are an 11k BTU or larger roof top unit, or adopting a smaller window unit into a window or wall opening. The latter looks a bit seedy, but is perfectly functional.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #12

I did this on Rusty, and actually on my van before that. The less marketed Coleman Polar Cub is a 9500 BTU slimline rooftop unit that starts and runs great on a Honda 2000. It was plenty to cool my Colorado Camper Van high top EB Ford.

COLEMAN POLAR CUB RV ROOF AIR CONDITIONER Top Unit - $669.99

I also had my generator mounted on the back of my last SMB in an angle steel/sheet metal box I built and I could run it mounted. Vent holes in the top bottom and sides for breathing, exhaust and to get to the cord and knobs. It worked great but vibrates the van a lot. In my next build I plan to have a bigger inverter for microwave, carry the Honda in the back and lock it to a nearby tree if if I need to use it. These things are amazingly quiet a short distance away.

This worked though, Bemerritt, and will give you some idea of what you can build even if you are a lousy welder like me.

Sorry for the diversion since this doesn't answer the OP's question. There are lots of ways to run AC in these vans but the portable units with the drain hose and all would be the last resort for me. Too big and heavy and too much to deal with.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Am I seeing this correctly that you just bolted that box/rack to the door? Any issues with the door taking that load?

I was expecting to have to go with a bumper mounted swing arm. Likely using a trailer hub as a pivot. I suppose having it on the bumper/frame rather than the body might help with vibration....

I agree on putting a ways away from the van when camped. However, after sweating on the i5 last week, I do wonder about being able to run it once in a while while driving.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #14

This is how I carry my EU2000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	17003, the base plate for the LowPro Lockdown is welded to a 24" hitch extension. The short mast you see has a threaded coupler to which a fiberglass mast attaches which supports a silicon exhaust terminating above the raised PH. AC is the cheapo Walmart kind, the installation of which I owe to this great forum.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0067.jpg   IMG_0072.jpg  
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #15

That's a bunch of good info, to get back to OP's question:

I would not recommend a portable unit. They are inherently less efficient, since they put the hot side (the condenser) into the same space that you're trying to cool.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Am I seeing this correctly that you just bolted that box/rack to the door? Any issues with the door taking that load?

I was expecting to have to go with a bumper mounted swing arm. Likely using a trailer hub as a pivot. I suppose having it on the bumper/frame rather than the body might help with vibration....

I agree on putting a ways away from the van when camped. However, after sweating on the i5 last week, I do wonder about being able to run it once in a while while driving.
Yes, that is the old way an SMB factory spare was mounted. I mimicked the driver's side where the spare was on my van and built an identical A frame with long bolts that go through the thick steel hinges of the door. It wasn't ideal to drill holes in my door but it was cheap and effective at the time, and my rig was old anyway. As for stress on the door it really wasn't bad. I could occasionally notice a sag in it at times but it wasn't bent up and leaking or anything. I'd do it again but for the door hole drilling. By the way, I did run the generator while driving once or twice with this setup and you couldn't tell it was running. Road noise and vibration paired with the generator being far behind me and I didn't know it was there.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
That's a bunch of good info, to get back to OP's question:

I would not recommend a portable unit. They are inherently less efficient, since they put the hot side (the condenser) into the same space that you're trying to cool.
Agreed and the awkward size and necessary 3" duct & drain hose are just too much. The window unit became the best portable, more portable (stores under my bed) solution.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

Nicely done FXRQ!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #19

Garage
My van came with a propane run generator mounted under the van in the spate tire location, it's all wired up with electric start and I just have to push a button inside it works great. Not my design but I quite like it as it's super easy to fire up if I need to microwave something and if I eventually get my rear starcool looked at and working I imagine it will be quite dreamy.

I guess these are not directly related to the original thread but seem to be relevant to where it's going if it helps anyone.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote