Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #81

Re: Espar Heater Problems

Brian - total bummer. As I'm sure you're aware, I've had espar problems as can be seen in previous posts. I've taken mine out twice, and both times it was clean enough inside to eat off of. I made several calls and internet looking and ended up ordering and replacing both of my pumps. One each for low and high altitude. I've only used it a couple times this summer, and so far so good. I'm heading out next week for more camping and will use it again. At least I hope so. Anyway, the pump replacement seems to have done the trick for me - so far.
If you haven't done that, you might give it a try. There's a section in the manual where it gives directions on how to measure the output of the pumps. I did that and mine were off and the adjustment didn't work so I went for replacement. You might give the pumps a look see.
Good luck

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat
Well, I get to revive and old thread... and not for a good reason...

I just tried to fire up my Espar diesel furnace to make sure it would work for the winter months. I got nothing but cold air out of it. I spent over $1,000 dollars last winter in parts and service time to make this thing work. I made 4 trips to the service center which is a 4 hour round trip for me. I ended up pulling the unit out of the van myself, and had to cut out some of the cabinets to do so. It was a very time and money consuming "adventure."

And just now, when I tried running it, nothing but cold air came out. Total pain in the ass P.O.S., it is...

Brian

What does it do when it trys to start, does it put out white smoke? These heaters work very well but when over sized like they are in the SMB they can have issues.

Greg

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #83

Garage

Even though my unit still poured white smoke AFTER Greg serviced it (I did the un-unstall and re-install myself), he had some good ideas, and was helpful. After the most dismal communications with the unfriendly bastards at Espar, someone there finally told me about the kerosene blast. Since that, no problems. I did not use the unit at all for many spring and summer months, and last month, when I tried it, it fired right up. I went through hell with it last year, but my time has come, I guess.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #84

Not much smoke at all. Very thin wisp of gray, close to none. It cycled two times each time I started it and then shut itself down both times. I went and topped off the fuel since I was below 1/4 tank and tried it again. Same thing.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #85
Site Team

Garage

maybe you have air in the lines? I was told to run it once a month for that reason and not to run it if below 1/4 tank.

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem but it only fails from time to time. Aint fun to wake half frozen.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #86

Follow the TSB for running the kerosene through it and I bet it wik take off and run. When you take it apart if you don't know what to look for you would say its clean. Its the combustion chamber that that gets plugged. Also if its old enough and it might not have the Hella ECU in it. That was a source for a lot of issues too.

Greg
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #87

Maybe I'll have time to look at this weekend. I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

Brian
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat
I just tried to fire up my Espar diesel furnace to make sure it would work for the winter months. I got nothing but cold air out of it.
Fill your fuel tank and cycle it a few more times. It might just be air in the lines and it can take several cycles to purge it all.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #89

Greg,

I can't thank you enough for coming on here and sharing your information. I've copied all the information and although I haven't had problems with my Furnace, I have started to run it full blast occasionally as you have suggested. The furnamce works great for us (high and low altitude).

However, I'm wondering if you can dispense some wisdom on the water heater? I have the hydronic also. To give you an idea of how we use it: In the summer we might fire it up occasionally to take a shower or when we need hot water (not that frequent) but I pretty much try to make sure I start it and run it for 30mins each month no matter what. In the winter, anytime we are camping in truly cold weather (below freezing) I will set it to come on about 45 mins before we are leaving mainly as an engine preheat or to pull some hot water in the morning.

Of late, the hydronic has started to make a pretty loud "Hum" or "Buzz" when running full out. I initially thought that one of the mounting bolts or something had backed out and it was just buzzing against the mounting location but when I got home and crawled under it to see where the buzzing was coming from, it appears to coming from INSIDE the unit.

I know someone posted an item earlier about a fan or pump that got grit in it somewhow. I have to say, it sounds like the fan or the pump in the unit has a bad bearing or something? Is that possible?

Just wondering it you have any suggestions since it initially was VERY quiet (relative to an F18 jet) but the buzzing resonates through the entire van now.

We do, in fact, travel on a lot of dusty roads and washboard if that makes a lot of difference.

Again, thanks again for showing up, your help is much appreciated.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #90

Its hard to say what that is. I've heard it a few times, I really think its the exhaust pipe resonating. As long as its working OK I would be to concerned. I'm a believer in if it works don't fix it.

Greg