Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #101

Correct......you need to get at the backside of that joint.....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #102

Ichuker, our top is electric with cabinets below both rear anchor points. I've replaced those bolts without removing either cabinet. The driver's side had a hole through the metal that allowed access to the bolt's nut. The passenger side did not. Both were PITA; driver side less so. Don't know if the hole dates from original install since on one side only.
Attached Thumbnails
DS_Rear.jpg  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #103

Tipsor thread on EB-50 left rear cabinet removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Correct......you need to get at the backside of that joint.....
Thanks so much Wonder Boy.
I was afraid this would be the answer.

Meanwhile I spent hours unsuccessfully looking for a thread with info on how to remove the cabinets. Mostly people seem to have just taken theirs to SMB Fresno. Do you know of a good post on this? Or do I just get out my screwdrivers and go for it? Any tips on where to start? Is it all screwed together, or is there glue involved?

I did see some references to be careful with the MDF. Or as my brother-in-law calls it, "pressed manure". I guess it is time to quit stalling and dive in.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomad View Post
Ichuker, our top is electric with cabinets below both rear anchor points. I've replaced those bolts without removing either cabinet. The driver's side had a hole through the metal that allowed access to the bolt's nut. The passenger side did not. Both were PITA; driver side less so. Don't know if the hole dates from original install since on one side only.
That's very interesting.........for those of us without that hole we should think about adding one for serviceability. Perhaps the hole was added when a repair was required on that side.
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #105

Garage
Ichukar, if your SMB isn't as Snomad describes maybe consider cutting an access point in the top of the closet from the inside? I've got the shoulder bolt replacement on my to do list, but like you don't really want to dismantle the cabinets. I was considering cutting an access then just covering it up with either a panel or material like trunk liner. Now I'm following along to see how you accomplish the upgrade/fix. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Ichukar, if your SMB isn't as Snomad describes maybe consider cutting an access point in the top of the closet from the inside? I've got the shoulder bolt replacement on my to do list, but like you don't really want to dismantle the cabinets. I was considering cutting an access then just covering it up with either a panel or material like trunk liner.

That seems way easier than trying to use a hole saw thru the steel rail and then the sheet metal roof.....way easier. Maybe drill a small pilot hole from the top down to get the location correct then hole saw through the ceiling of the cabinet.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #107

Replace shoulder bolt via cabinets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Ichukar, if your SMB isn't as Snomad describes maybe consider cutting an access point in the top of the closet from the inside? I've got the shoulder bolt replacement on my to do list, but like you don't really want to dismantle the cabinets. I was considering cutting an access then just covering it up with either a panel or material like trunk liner. Now I'm following along to see how you accomplish the upgrade/fix. Good luck!
Steve - I did not have to remove or cut a hole in my cabinets. I did it all from above. I will soon post about it along with some photos.
But that doesn't mean cutting a little hole in the top cabinet and then patching it over would be a bad idea. It might actually be faster and easier. But I am always loath to start cutting holes in anything.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #108

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
Steve - I did not have to remove or cut a hole in my cabinets. I did it all from above. I will soon post about it along with some photos.
I for one look forward to that Post - don't have an issue now, but would benefit from your knowledge if/when it occurs.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:55 PM   #109

Thought I would throw this out. Old post on how to avoid the need for a come-along for taking tension off crossbars. This was for re-tensioning, but we created it to fix a broken crossbar bolt when in Death Valley....Note you have a lot of tension...I think I had a couple loops of dacron 1/4" (sailing) line.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...html#post87249

Use a strong piece of line to replace the come-along and tension the line with the top partly raised. Then you get a couple people under the roof, raise it and place precut 2X2's or equivalent under the 4 corners of the top. Tension is now off the scissor bolts and even the chain to spring. So this can be used to carefully re-tension the top
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 AM   #110

SteveC, Twoxentrix, and others. I posted my project on a new thread.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-30755.html
I seems to have worked. The results are guaranteed at least until I try to raise the top next time.