Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2024, 06:04 PM   #1

Propane hose...

My 06 SMB RB50 came with a hose that I was told would allow outside connection of a camp stove to the van.

Doesn't seem like it, as I cannot find a single fitting that would allow it.

Soo..., when the van went on for its galley makeover, I had them add two additional propane outlets with qd fittings.
One inside the now floor mounted pantry cabinet, for a small one burner unit for morning coffee if the weather sucks.
The second one is just in front of the passenger rear wheel and is for my Camp Cheff Everest that sits on a tire table.
These are both connected just down stream of the propane line that feeds the furnace.

This all sounds fantastic until you realize that the new connections are post regulator and RV propane pressure is a whopping .05 psi and these camp stoves are designed to run on 15psi...

Has anyone successfully plumbed in a PRE regulator propane line for running camp stoves?

Thanks!

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #2

Typically something like this 4 Port Propane Brass Tee Adapter Kit or search for Extend A Stay RV propane kit.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:48 PM   #3

Garage
There are some posts on here about that very thing.

But I sure would not recommend running high pressure propane inside the van!!
Old 04-24-2024, 09:34 PM   #4

Garage
Take a look at Post #13 on this Thread - is this what your propane set-up looks like? If so, then take a look at Post #14 - it identifies the pre-regulator hook-up (high pressure):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ner-28700.html
Old 04-26-2024, 12:07 PM   #5

It's probably cheaper to get low pressure appliances. I just went the high pressure route and probably spent $400 without paying labor. And as others said above, I would not run high pressure inside my van.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #6

Besides the obvious, which I presume is if a line breaks or you have a leak at a fitting the RV fills with propane quickly, are there any other bad reasons for no high pressure lines in an RV?

What is considered high pressure. PDXDave mentioned 15psi. I believe a std propane tank is significantly more than 15 psi.
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:16 AM   #7

Not an expert here - but if lines sprung a leak - woe to trying to overcome the vapors and what is in the van with an open flame that will result in "kaboom" before someone can react fast enough to "shutt'r" down !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #8

With regards to the danger of high pressure leaking into an RV is that a carry over from before propane tanks got the safety valves?

My understanding is that if a propane hose is open to atmosphere the safety valve on the tank is supposed to automatically stop the flow of propane.

Thoughts on this?
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:56 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuejg View Post
With regards to the danger of high pressure leaking into an RV is that a carry over from before propane tanks got the safety valves?

My understanding is that if a propane hose is open to atmosphere the safety valve on the tank is supposed to automatically stop the flow of propane.

Thoughts on this?
My thought is ANSI, RVIA, and IBC (for residences) have established safety standards based on years of fatal fires, and I don't think I'm smarter or more risk tolerant than those experts.