Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #11

Steve C, where did you buy your Thin-Lite fixtures? Looking online is a letter underwhelming, was looking for the 612P and 616P can only find one vendor who has them (camperid.com) and they can tell me what temperature the ones they have are (Thin-Lite makes 3k, 4k and 5k, although they indicate 3k is special order so it's probably not those).

-- Bass

basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #12

I gutted the fluorescent light components out of mine and added a second switch and used self sticking LED strips from Amazon. On one of the switches I put white LEDs. On the other I put red LEDs. It's nice if one is out looking at the stars at night but want to be able to see inside the van without ruining night vision.
Attached Thumbnails
20191201_141822 (Custom).jpg   20191201_141845 (Custom).jpg  
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #13

So many options...I bought these 5 yrs ago, and there is a newer dimmable version linked within this listing..
https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceilin...01L8CW8Q2?th=1

They are 3 way and work very well, tho not quite as long as the original fluorescence's, so added 4 stainless screws in the old holes...Much brighter and the color temperature on the ones I received are neutral, probably 4000K. $21 for two...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Steve C, where did you buy your Thin-Lite fixtures? Looking online is a letter underwhelming, was looking for the 612P and 616P can only find one vendor who has them (camperid.com) and they can tell me what temperature the ones they have are (Thin-Lite makes 3k, 4k and 5k, although they indicate 3k is special order so it's probably not those).

-- Bass
I purchased mine last year from here https://bereeloutdoors.com and unfortunately they are currently unable to get more. My search also only found them currently in stock @ camperid.com with shipping/tax $130... ouch!!! Mine was $102 total with free shipping and no tax.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #15

Thanks for all of the great replies!

Lots of options.
TechTonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #16
Orv

Garage
I had a mix of incandescent and Thin-Lites in my van. I replaced the bulbs in the incandescent fixtures with drop-in LED replacements. The fixtures had three bulbs, wired two to one switch and on to another, for a simple high/low setup; I put one bright white LED bulb and two dimmer red ones in each. The red light is especially nice when I want to get up in the middle of the night and use a campground restroom. The light is soft enough to not wake my wife and it doesn't kill my night vision. (Some of the best stargazing I've ever had was when I got up in the middle of the night to go to the can.)

I haven't done anything with the Thin-Lites yet. They still work well some 30 years after they were installed, but they're such battery hogs compared to the LED lights. Gutting them and putting in LED strips is a great idea; it'd be a good use for the LED strip material I have left from my cove light project.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

Leisure is my favorite top motorhome LED lights. They are corrosion and heat resistant, making the RV always ready for your trips to harsher climates.
Andrew Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
I gutted the fluorescent light components out of mine and added a second switch and used self sticking LED strips from Amazon. On one of the switches I put white LEDs. On the other I put red LEDs. It's nice if one is out looking at the stars at night but want to be able to see inside the van without ruining night vision.
Mind linking to the lights you used?
TritonTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Coates View Post
Leisure is my favorite top motorhome LED lights. They are corrosion and heat resistant, making the RV always ready for your trips to harsher climates.
I just read about those in your link. Nice.

Link below is yet another option that I used in my first van build. Has a red and white LED option so you can turn on some dim bug free light at night if needed. It's a more expensive version of what DesertSMB did but ready made. We loved this light for the kids while traveling at night. I might have to order another for my new-to-me van.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-M...04678312&psc=1
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonTamer View Post
Mind linking to the lights you used?
I bought the white light strips several years ago and don't have the link for the exact ones I used but these are typical of what I did use: https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Kitc...%2C275&sr=8-11

Here is a link for the red ones I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does involve some fine soldering to install them.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote