Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2024, 03:41 PM   #1

Seeking advice on rear gaucho layouts (EB10-14)

Our original cabinetry (EB45 seems the closest match) has all but fallen to pieces, so we are starting to plan out what we want to the new interior to look like. I'm interested to hear from those with experience with layouts that include the two rear gauchos.

Compared to our single gaucho behind the driver's seat, it would allow us easier setup for dining at a table/working at a laptop. It would also solve one of our biggest struggles with the interior, which is that when the gaucho is in bed mode there is no more "hallway" and we have to crawl over it in order to reach anything stored in the rear cabinets. Which, when you are as forgetful as I am, is many times while getting ready for bed. So being able to set up the rear gauchos into a bed and have everything accessible in front of that sounds pretty nice.

Thanks in advance!

Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:44 AM   #2

Every layout has some compromises. I had a midship floor plan before certainly didn't crawling over the bed to get to the rear but I also built my first homebuild floorplan with rear side gauchos with the idea of using the rear center table as our indoor eating area and we used it maybe once. However, this van did not have a full cut out roof like an SMB pop top so it was much more cramped getting in and out. Also, you can see in the pic that I had higher counters and a tall cabinet just forward of the dinette making it even harder to get in/out. YMMV.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:20 AM   #3

We absolutely loved the rear dinette setup in our previous 1998 EB van (new one has a standard gaucho). Plenty of room for relaxing and eating, and made up into a good-sized bed when combined with the SMB inset wall cavities. And the two cabinets at the back had tons of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1797.jpg   DSC_1804.jpg   DSC_1825.jpg   DSC_1827.jpg   DSC_1811.jpg  

DSC_1828.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #4

That's a great layout right there. Do you remember what SMB called that configuration?
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:55 PM   #5

Sportsmobile used to have all of the floor plans illustrated on their site but I think that went away. What I usually have great luck with is a Google Image search for Sportsmobile floor plans. It pulls up most of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...h=848&biw=1529

Brian will know for sure what his was but I think it was an EB 16 maybe?

Old 02-28-2024, 01:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, good to hear the pros and cons! We don't use all of the storage space that we currently have, so are looking into going with half-height cabinets all around which will hopefully provide some additional airiness to having the seating area in the back.

It took me a bit of digging the other day, but I did find the old webpage that Scotty is referencing with all of the layouts: https://sportsmobile.com/standard-plans-info/
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:18 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
...so are looking into going with half-height cabinets all around which will hopefully provide some additional airiness to having the seating area in the back.
I think you have the right frame of mind on this

I've been in quite a few, and agree layouts without taller cabinets in the rear (or just on one side) feel much more inviting.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post

It took me a bit of digging the other day, but I did find the old webpage that Scotty is referencing with all of the layouts: https://sportsmobile.com/standard-plans-info/
Cool. Thanks for posting. I was too lazy and short of time to dig for it over lunch. I'm glad it's still out there.

These floor plans are priceless for homebuilders when thinking about how to lay out vans, or just for perspective shoppers who might be looking at one across the country and can only see a few pics. It's very easy to look at an overhead view and work out plumbing and electrical pros/cons/possibilities with these. It's also very easy for a non-van person, say a female you might be attached to, to see how things fit and what might work or not for one's needs.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
That's a great layout right there. Do you remember what SMB called that configuration?

I believe it was a custom layout; we were the second owners. Closest I found was EB 18, but tweaked. All electric van, with no stove and the sink cabinet was inside barn doors driver's side (I pulled that cabinet and installed a third chair there). Three of us lived out of the van for several month-long trips and it worked well. Definitely miss the dinette setup!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1807.jpg   DSC_1816.jpg   DSC_1848.jpg   DSC_1843.jpg   DSC_1846.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
We absolutely loved the rear dinette setup in our previous 1998 EB van (new one has a standard gaucho). Plenty of room for relaxing and eating, and made up into a good-sized bed when combined with the SMB inset wall cavities. And the two cabinets at the back had tons of storage.
Ours has this same layout, which is kind of rare these days. Facing benches midship that make into the bed, head in the back. Have had other and this is the best. It keeps the middle of the van open and uncluttered and maximizes use of the widest point in the vehicle's body for eating and sleeping. Also creates a great 2-entry (walk-through) arrangement. It's an old-school design - they had it figured out a long time ago.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote