Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2023, 05:26 PM   #1

Spice bottle storage solutions

So there is dead space above my fridge, and I carry too many spices to be considered a normal camper. I stash my most commonly used spices in the van on the regular, and hate that they suck up drawer space. Well Amazon had these clips that hold the bottles. I can fit a dozen of them in here.

Of course certain seasonal items like pumpkin pie spice, cloves etc.. don't fit, and my big bottle of Mexican vanilla won't fit... But well from 1/4 of a drawer used up to using otherwise wasted space, I call that a win!

And yes those are cinch straps holding the fridge in place. The new fridge did not mount from underneath like the old one did... And I am not ready to rework the cabinet yet...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:25 PM   #2

Ingenious��
Pimpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #3

Are the clips on 'strips' with multiples, or are they all individual?

My wife made up these 'assortments' that we take with us.

They are usually stored on a little shelve like these, also from Amazon....

If we have a meal planned before leaving home, she will also pre-mix a 'seasoning pack' to make it quick and easy while camping....

kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:43 PM   #4

Ingenious. Thank you for sharing.
yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Are the clips on 'strips' with multiples, or are they all individual?

My wife made up these 'assortments' that we take with us.

They are usually stored on a little shelve like these, also from Amazon....

If we have a meal planned before leaving home, she will also pre-mix a 'seasoning pack' to make it quick and easy while camping....

They are stick on strips of clips, they mount with 3M double sided automotive trim tape.

I got the idea from a class B pleasureway I saw when I was van shopping before I ran across my SMB. I have some health issues and cooking my own stuff would make me do better in that regard, and my plan here is to be able to pre-stash all non perishables in the van and have it ready at a monents notice to turn the key and go, stop by a grocery store on the way out, load the perishables, and maybe head to the beach for a saltwater fishing weekend, or to my friends hunting lease where I have my own cabin space instead of being jammed into an overglorified shed with 5 other guys... Or maybe a quick run up to one of the beautiful lakes in East Texas pineywoods...

And of course given enough leave time, head out from Tx to Oregon to visit family and high school friends.

If anyone is interested, the strips I used are on Amazon for cheap.
https://amzn.to/46YTOOv (Affiliate link, mods if that is outside of the rules, let me know and I will fix it...)
Old 10-19-2023, 10:43 AM   #6

@kbeefy Sorry but your pics don't show...
Old 10-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
@kbeefy Sorry but your pics don't show...

Yeah they didn't! Such a pain having to remote host everything.
Attached Thumbnails
20231018_093922.jpg   20231018_094237.jpg   20231018_094409.jpg   20231018_094253.jpg  
Old 10-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #8

I see them now. Those muti spice jars are really nice. I used to be able to find them everywhere. Now all you can seem to find is the pre filled ones with spices I don't typically use. (I will typically buy curry in a packet not a jar as I use it so infrequently).

The spices I chose for my camper spice rack are the ones I honestly use the most, and are missing at least some... For example the Southwest Chipotle can probably get stashed deeper away in favor of Cayenne, but even though Cayenne is frequent, it is in such small quantity / small jar it doesn't really fit here...

Looks like Amazon has 4 cmpartment multi spice jars. Those actually look promising...

So as you can see, I have the following spices in the rack, and I kind of ran out of room.
Steak, Original Salt Free (Mrs. Dash), Italian, Poultry Seasoning, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Cumin, Minced Onion, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeng, Southwest Chipotle.

That's 12 spices.

The rest need to be somehow added.
Paprika, Ground clove, whole clove, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic & Herb, Fajita Seasoning, and of course Salt & Pepper.

That is 8 additional spices.

How I am going to make room for an additional 8 bottles, I have no idea. The Salt & Pepper bottles are non standard goofy paper ones anyway...

Those multi spice containers, and a home made spice rack might be more fitting here... Just a slower process to get to camping...
Old 10-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #9

Yeah, my wife found the same problem with any 'off the shelf' assortments, they only have about half what she wants.

She made those herself from cupcake topping containers. It was cheaper to buy them full of sprinkles than buying comparable ones empty.

There are a few that she keeps larger dispensers of (Salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon and a few others) but whats there will get us by for a couple weeks anyways.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Yeah, my wife found the same problem with any 'off the shelf' assortments, they only have about half what she wants.

She made those herself from cupcake topping containers. It was cheaper to buy them full of sprinkles than buying comparable ones empty.

There are a few that she keeps larger dispensers of (Salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon and a few others) but whats there will get us by for a couple weeks anyways.
Years ago, well honestly decades ago now, like 20 years so... Walmart used to sell the 6 cell multi canisters empty under the Ozark Trail name for next to nothing. Like $.99 or something like that. I haven't seen them in years.

I can tell you the Mrs. Dash (cook alike), the Steak Seasoning and the Garlic & Herb / Rosemary Garlic I go though FAST when I am cooking. The Mrs. Dash gets used every morning with the eggs just habit.... Steak seasoning or Rosemary Garlic goes on a LOT of dinners, especially if I am say pan searing a steak and sauteeing veggies. I will sprinkle that stoff all over the steak with butter, once the steak is done , sautee some asparagus in the same pan with that same seasoning... Oh so good... Or rosemary garlic in some canned green beans... (Lazy cook)...
Pretty much everything else can go in those 6 cell containers.

Now if I mixed my own taco seasoning like I used to, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and Cumin would need to stay out, or pre mix and go in a bigger jar. Again lazy cook, I have gone to the pouches for taco seasoing these days....