Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2023, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Yeah, my wife found the same problem with any 'off the shelf' assortments, they only have about half what she wants.

She made those herself from cupcake topping containers. It was cheaper to buy them full of sprinkles than buying comparable ones empty.

There are a few that she keeps larger dispensers of (Salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon and a few others) but whats there will get us by for a couple weeks anyways.
Well, no wife any longer so I am totally DIY here... I just talked to a friend of mine, his wife is, well about 80% housewife, about 20% part time worker... And she bakes a LOT. We are splitting the costs on the 6 cell sprinkles, I am going to baggie the sprinkles and keep the containers... Those containers are exactly what they used to sell in the camping section...

I had them years ago, but plastic only lasts so long...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
We are splitting the costs on the 6 cell sprinkles, I am going to baggie the sprinkles and keep the containers... Those containers are exactly what they used to sell in the camping section...

We donated them to a friend with kids. I probably ate a few....
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
We donated them to a friend with kids. I probably ate a few....
The bottles came in. Splitting costs is probably not the right term. He's buying me a beer tonight after work... He and his wife have 2 kids and do a lot for their homeschool group so I am sure the sprinkles will go to good use before Thanksgiving...

They came in, shipping from Walmart. The 7oz 6 cell silver and gold varieties seem to be just about perfect. I have transfered the sprinkles to ziplocks, and washed the containers. They are now drying. Once dry I will load and label them. They are the perfect height to fit in a funny shelf space in my pantry.

Probably going to keep the Mrs. Dash and Steak seasoning in their original jars though. I go through that stuff fast...
Old 10-23-2023, 01:11 PM   #14

Got the first 2 loaded up and labelled. This is going to allow me a LOT more spice selection. I would rather have my spices at the ready than have to think, gee what spices do I need for this trip...

I may reconfigure the clips and ONLY keep the spices I go through VERY quickly like maybe blackened seasoning, Greek Seasoning, and Old Bay seasoning in a few clips...

Old 10-23-2023, 04:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
I've tried a bunch of solutions over the years for spice storage and this is where I landed.

At the beginning of camping season, I fill up these little jars. 2 sizes; they hold a surprising amount of spice and can hold liquids. I typically carry vanilla and sesame oil.

They are stored in a small tin can along with a few packets of freeze-dried lime juice. Anything I need in large quantity goes in its original container(salt, pepper, etc).

When I go camping the tin goes in my rig. It comes out at the end of the trip and if needed, jars get topped up. Storing them inside between trips reduces heat damage to spices.

At the end of the year, I dump out the remains and store the box for spring.

These little bottles are made for lab use and you can order online. They are dishwasher-safe and surprisingly durable. Finding a small box that will hold them without too much rattling is key to a good outcome.

20ml https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q82RLBY/
7.3 ml https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Vials-D...dp/B002JV89OC/

Click image for larger version

Name:	spice_1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	48781

Name:	spice_2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	48782

The spice tin fits into a larger container that has staples. Flour, sugar, salt, pepper, corn meal (in case fishing...), popcorn, rice, etc. The same process applies and I know I always have this stuff on board.

Name:	staples.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	48789
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote