Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2023, 03:42 PM   #1

Temporary water tank pickup.

As I mentioned my SMB had the plubming removed by the original owner (boo!) and, well I need water in the van. I came up with a rig that would allow me to use a Reliance AquaTainer 7 gallon jug, of which I own many, but will only go through 3 for a week camping, including showers (21 gallons water) and will have leftover water. MUCH less needed if I am camping somewhere I can throw my shower pickup into a clear stream close by...

Anyway, the issue is you need a pickup tube and some way to adapt to a plumbing setup that can be run to a switched pump, and then the rest of your water system...

Well let me introduce you to my little friend as it were...

No pic, so sorry, but we started with a standard Reliance AquaTainer 7 gallon. I have a lot of them (8) as they are VERY useful during hurricane season around here... I simply unscrewed the spigot from the cap and set it aside.

Next I took a 3/4" PVC male threaded pipe plug, and drilled a 1/2" hole from the back side allowing me to pass the...
3/8" ID 1/2" OD potable water tubing through. The plug threads into the AquaTainer cap from below BTW, trying to keep height down as there is not a lot of space in my kitchen cabinet...

On the top side I installed a 3/8" hose barb x 3/4" MPT elbow (ABS plastic, potable water safe), and then an all brass (potable water safe) 3/4 MPT x 3/4 GHT female x female adapter, and finally the male 3/4" GHT by standard garden hose quick connect plug, and again ABS plastic / potable water safe.

I measured the tube so that it would run to the bottom of the tank, and cut to length, then installed a 3/8x3/8x3/8 barb X barb X barb fitting as a tube weight and attached it with an all stainless steel hose clamp.

Now if ANYONE can recommend where I can at reasonable cost obtain the 3/8" elbow but with 3/4" GHT thread on the other end, I will happily ammend this design.

Now I go stuff this back in the cabinet and get to work on the hose to the pump, and then pump to the faucet... Super simple, albeit temporary plumbing until I manage the permanent rig under the van...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote