Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2024, 04:54 AM   #1

Starcool Efficiency

I have a 2004 SMB Ext Ford E250 SB51 with 34K miles. It has the Starcool II system. I spent a bunch of money isolating a couple leaks. The AC works great going down the road, (as long as you remember to turn on the back). It will freeze you out. When idling it does not cool so well. I did an 8500 mile two month trip with it last fall. The problem is when parked and plugged into 30 amp, with partial shade, it really does very little. Are there some things I can do to make it more efficient? The under carriage system seems very clean. I can't believe SMB would use such a funky system for so many years. About to buy one of the portable units like the Bouge or Ecoflow to supplement or use instead of the Starcool when parked. A small generator will run them. Anybody have recommendations for the portable units?

Trappermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
They pretty much only drop the outside temp by 10-15 degrees. That's taking the temp from the ports. It takes quite a bit to cool off my hot van if it's been sitting in full sun.

The compressor used while driving is specific to the engine vehicle (shares the Ford AC) while the Shore power compressor is a different unit and requires AC power obviously. I'm guessing you have the shore power compressor?

Driving with the SC+Ford A/C requires both to be running. Mine does get a bit warmer if I'm at idle or moving slow. My pickup does the same thing. A couple of things to check:

The fan on the front radiator must be coming on when driving and at idle. Make sure the fan is turning the correct way. The way I look at it, the fan should be drawing in cool air and pushes it into the engine bay when the vehicle is stopped or moving slow. My fan was wired backward and the motor leads had to be reversed. Stuff happens.

The unit under the driver seat also has a fan. The shroud is known for picking up rocks and freezing the fan up. Make sure it is working. Make sure the fins are clean of dirt and mud.

Make sure the shop puts in what SMB requires, not Ford. It takes 72 oz (4.5lbs?). Most shops evac the system and don't put back enough. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!

I have found that by parking in the shade helps keep the heat down and helps to offset what the unit is starting to cool. If no shade I'll often deploy my awning to help. It takes a bit to cool down the van after a drive. Lifting the hood can help a bit. Get all the heat out of the engine bay.

I did have a check valve fail once but it was apparent when I tried to start the shore power compressor...no cooling in the rear ports at all.

You will probably find that even on shore power, parts of the SC will draw 12v off the coach battery system...at least mine does. So on shore power, I need to keep the battery charger working. If my charger cuts out due to seeing a full battery, I always need to restart the charging session.

I feel this system works. Would I purchase it again? Probably not however the system is almost necessary when driving in my neck of the woods. In the past SMB did offer different models, one that doesn't have the shore power unit. Knowing what I do now, I'd probably been better off without the shore power system. IIRC a few people have blocked off the shore power compressor lines and removed the compressor.

Good luck. At temps of 115 (typical of the inside temp during summer while sitting on the driveway), if the van is sitting in direct sun the shore power system sure doesn't do much until the whole van has cooled...YMMV

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:08 PM   #3

daveb -- how does one tell the diff between a "shorepower" SC II - and a non-shorepower SC II ? My van is a 2002 V10 Ext Body from Fresno - other than "experimentation" running it !? Thanks for any info -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:19 PM   #4

Thanks for your quick and thoughtful reply. Everything is functioning and it was charged with 4.5lbs. I have only tried to use the AC on shore power 4 times. I will continue to experiment. I do have a thermometer I put in the vent, it shows a difference of 12-20 degrees cooler air coming from the vents. This really does nothing to cool a hot van. Does it help to set the thermostat all the way down?...I have tried keeping the top down. Little help. Popping the top and placing fans in the windows helps. Seems like there would be a way to tie off old the system and put in a more efficient system. I will probably buy the Ecoflow Wave 2 and see how that works.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:22 PM   #5

I think the nonshorepower units do not have the rear AC.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:45 AM   #6

I haven't had my van out since last October going to Oregon for the Deshcutes River meet and greet - and I took my generator off the rear as I knew there would be no shore power and I didn't want to keep all the other folks up at night with gen running - but when it blows it on low it's putting out around 60 degrees with van sitting in driveway running engine - not sure what it is when driving as my head swivel is malfunctioning - and I generally am solo when traveling. Gotta get a larger thermometer and bigger mirror I guess for driving ! And my StarCool II is 22 years old !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:40 AM   #7

Per SMB literature (see attached) the system does 18,000 BTU when driving (12vdc) and only 12,000 BTU when on 110vac shore power. Plenty of great threads on the Forum, do some power searching and you find tons of info. Here's a good thread to start with: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nfo-26005.html
Attached Thumbnails
Adjustments.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
daveb -- how does one tell the diff between a "shorepower" SC II - and a non-shorepower SC II ? My van is a 2002 V10 Ext Body from Fresno - other than "experimentation" running it !? Thanks for any info -

There is a big compressor unit under the van. On my rig it's on the driver side forward the rear axle. When that thing kicks on, it obvious. Mine is a Starcool III.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:30 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappermax View Post
Thanks for your quick and thoughtful reply. Everything is functioning and it was charged with 4.5lbs. I have only tried to use the AC on shore power 4 times. I will continue to experiment. I do have a thermometer I put in the vent, it shows a difference of 12-20 degrees cooler air coming from the vents. This really does nothing to cool a hot van. Does it help to set the thermostat all the way down?...I have tried keeping the top down. Little help. Popping the top and placing fans in the windows helps. Seems like there would be a way to tie off old the system and put in a more efficient system. I will probably buy the Ecoflow Wave 2 and see how that works.

You want it to stay cycled on as long as possible. If you start it out early when the van isn't really hot, it can do OK. But yeah, I feel lucky if the temp is 20 degrees cooler than outside temps. I can toggle the cool switch on the thermostat and hear the compressor cycle.

It runs much cooler when driving than when sitting there on shore power.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:34 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough
Check the fan for the rear evaporator coil to make sure it’s running. The fans are exposed and gravel and road grime can kick up and cause problems. Mine was creased and needed to be replaced. I will freeze you out at night, but can’t really keep up with a solar load in direct sunlight and high temps. It should cool sufficiently in the shade though.