Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2023, 03:16 PM   #1

Howdy from Nevada

Hello,

I have been wanting to join a 4x4 van forum for quite some time and here I is.

I've had my 4x4 Ford E350 for about 3 years now. Taken it on some trips with my wife and solo/dog's.

I don't know of too many places to go that are worthwhile.

I like boondocking with great scenery or perhaps some low key parks. I don't enjoy crowds but I like meeting like minded people. I'm hoping to get to travel with some of ya'll and also get some suggestions on places to go privately.

I'm not really a mechanic, but I am handy. I like exploring and hiking and just seeing great places whether it's ocean or mountains. Desert is not really my thing because I've lived in desert for far too many years.

I'm retired on a budget but not poor, or rich, so my rig isn't instagram worthy but it's solid and getting better. looking forward to suggestions and deals on the equipment exchange.

Anyway, you'll see me lurking here and posting from time to time.

Glad to be here. Thanks, for the opportunity.

Jack

JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:37 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #3

Here's a quick way to make 10-20 new van friends next weekend:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...und-31432.html

--Joe
Old 06-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlack View Post
Hello,
I'm retired on a budget but not poor, or rich, so my rig isn't instagram worthy but it's solid and getting better.
Jack
Well Jack, we are all focused on tinkering on our rigs with the goal of "getting better"...it's an endless process which also explains why the majority of us aren't rich either.
Welcome!
Old 06-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #5

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Well Jack, we are all focused on tinkering on our rigs with the goal of "getting better"...it's an endless process which also explains why the majority of us aren't rich either.
Welcome!
Yep, If it twern't for hobbies I'd be giving Bill Gates a run for his money.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #6

I'm surprised you have had enough of the desert as it meets almost all of your requirements. There are so many ghost towns, old mine sites, unlimited wilderness camping options, fantastic scenery, great hiking, very few people, amazing off roading etc. Never the less, I'm sure you will find plenty of places to explore, how about Eastern Oregon?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm surprised you have had enough of the desert as it meets almost all of your requirements. There are so many ghost towns, old mine sites, unlimited wilderness camping options, fantastic scenery, great hiking, very few people, amazing off roading etc. Never the less, I'm sure you will find plenty of places to explore, how about Eastern Oregon?
Personally, the lack of pine trees and Ocean are the main reasons I don't like the desert, But if someone could move those things to the desert South West, I'd be delighted.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:31 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlack View Post
Personally, the lack of pine trees and Ocean are the main reasons I don't like the desert, But if someone could move those things to the desert South West, I'd be delighted.
If you had all that in the dessert it would be like San Diego or Los Angeles and there goes your crowd free travel. All things are a bit of a compromise it seems.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #9

Finding crowd free beaches is pretty problematic without a lot of travel. Most beaches on the west coast are well known and crowded but less so in the winter and mid week. As for finding solitude in the Forrest, that’s much easier. There are thousands of miles of roads in the National forests and on BLM lands. Maps are your friend, both paper and electronic.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Finding crowd free beaches is pretty problematic without a lot of travel. Most beaches on the west coast are well known and crowded but less so in the winter and mid week. As for finding solitude in the Forrest, that’s much easier. There are thousands of miles of roads in the National forests and on BLM lands. Maps are your friend, both paper and electronic.
Agreed. I know most folks keep their favorite place pretty close to the vest. Only sharing them with close friends and family. So I know I won't get too many "perfect" places on a world wide forum.

But if I could get some specific tips on best practices of finding great places that'd be great, M-Kay?. Greeat.. (Office Space reference)

I'm nearing the end of my adventure days (57 years old) and so I don't want to waste a lot of time with fruitless searches into the void.