Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #11

Sorry for the delayed response! I ordered my engine from powertrainproducts.net. I have about 200 miles on the new engine so far and was totally happy with my experience buying with them.

I ordered swivel bases form 1der already and it probably wouldn't be worth shipping the seats all the way to TX or I would absolutely be interested. I'm using $50 pair of seats from the junkyard....which were an upgrade lol.

coachbertbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #12

Time for an update I guess. I'm getting there!

*Passed inspection. Mechanically sound!
*Installed back seats (Tahoe 3rd row.)
*Installed bed frame
*New 265/75/16 KO2 on some FB marketplace rims.

I need to fix a leak on the backdoor.

The steering doesn't feel great. I tightened the gear box and the slack went away but it doesn't pull straight. Alignment was done so it doesn't pull one way or another it just stays where I turn it instead of naturally straightening up after a turn. I believe the caster needs to be set more positive but would love feedback here.

I have aquired new side doors and push out windows that I'll install when I paint.

So far I'm into this project around 10k I'd guess. Definitely question if I should've but a used SMB at times lol but this build works well for my family of 4 and I'm happy I went throught the effort to do so much work on it myself.

Next up is the 52" 500 lbs slides which will hold my fridge and stove. Then I'll be wiring up the aux battery system to power it. More pics eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220123-201301.jpg   IMG_20211223_161732.jpg   Screenshot_20220123-201326.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #13

Adding a little castor (around 5 degrees total?) will help. Getting the steering box too tight will also prevent the wheel from returning to center.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #14

Worn steering boxes in older E-series vans are quite common. ...and OEM boxes have not been available for a long time. Lots of folks use Redhead(??) brand. A few folks here have had issues with those but they are supposed to be the best of the rebuilts.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Adding a little castor (around 5 degrees total?) will help. Getting the steering box too tight will also prevent the wheel from returning to center.
I just dropped it off at the alignment shop. I mentioned the castor suggestion so we'll see what they come back with. Very possible I should just get a rebuilt gearbox anyway. I'll see how it feels when I pick it up and go from there.