Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

Garage
That fan can push some air! - exactly what you want/need it to do when called for...mine sounds like a jet engine when it deploys. As carringb remarked earlier in this thread, when the temps get to that 225+ neighborhood and you don't hear it you have a problem.
dpekin, you mentioned monitoring EOT and ECT going over Teton pass...do you recall the temps? It's possible you have an oil cooler that may need to be replaced if the deltas are 15pts+ apart.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldyhseplr View Post
I am presumed the loud fan was my turbo. Now that the weather has changed it occurs more often. Is my presumption correct?
Negative. The fan is just that, a fan. It turns out when one of several readings tell it that more air needs to move through the engine bay to help keep things cool. Not turbo related.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #13

thanks TwoXentrix. I think my ECT/EOT deltas are good. Normally about 4-6 degrees different on the level road doing 60/70. They will vary a bit more pushing up or down a grade. I have a large coolant filter in the loop which I hope will prevent the heat exchanger from getting clogged up.
dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #14

Not your Turbo but the radiator clutch fan so your assumption is correct. Mine kicks in at 230 coolant degrees.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldyhseplr View Post
I am presumed the loud fan was my turbo. Now that the weather has changed it occurs more often. Is my presumption correct?

Yeah it does roar. I drove a brand new International Diesel 3 axle truck at work. My boss took a drive with me and asked it that was the turbo. I said no, it's the fan just like on my van.

When I picked up my van from Fresno, it kicked in on the way home and all I could say was "oh no" it sounds just like my work truck. Other than the dust it kicks up, I've got used to it. I actually have an engine tune that has a more aggressive fan cycle that keeps temps down. I just turn up the tunes.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #16

I thought the radiator fan on the 6.0 was electrical and not a viscous clutch like the 7.3?!?

My 6.0 is sure a lot louder when it kicks in then my previous 7.3, works pretty good!
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I thought the radiator fan on the 6.0 was electrical and not a viscous clutch like the 7.3?!?
It's still a viscous clutch. It does have electronic controls, but only to activate it sooner. The PCM can send power to the clutch, which heats up an element which heats up the bi-metallic valve which causes it to engage. This allows the fan clutch to engage sooner than the pure-mechanical ones, and can activate for A/C use, or whenever the PCM commands it. It could even be used to improve engine-braking when towing.

A pure electric fan-clutch would have clutch-plates or bands, and no viscous fluid. Some Medium and heavy trucks have these, and they have a VERY binary operation.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #18

That makes sense. I also noticed that on my tuner, when I put it on 50hp tow the fan does activate a lot sooner compared to stock, economy or the 100hp tunes.

Cheers!
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #19
Spr

If you have a scan gauge you can program an x gauge for FSS which monitors the fan speed. Kind of fun to keep an eye on how it fluctuates.

https://www.scangauge.com/xgauge/for...-speed-sensor/