Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #1

Question Affordable SMB Upgrade

Hello

I have a 2001 Ford 250, SMB model RB50.

Purchased used in 2007, great size and clearance for driving unserviced BLM land and turnouts on US Forest Service roads. Powerful V8 engine for driving up mountain passes at freeway speeds. Does not have 4WD, rarely wished if it had.

I have maintained this SMB very well:
  • V8 engine
  • body
  • poptop
  • interior RB50

Like the SMB model RB50's barebones features:
  • No hot water
  • No toilet
  • No shower

However, this lovingly maintained SMB is aging, and repairs are becoming more frequent. My spouse takes it out alone, and I do not want to worry if something breaks and cuts her trip short. She had to turn around two weeks ago when the water pump broke.

Time to purchase our next SMB. Looking for the same flexibility and less than 10 years old, lovingly maintained.

My spouse's request is if it has a pop-top, she wants a power-lift.

Before seeking specific best previous years, should I consider buying used:
  • Vehicle
  • Vehicle extras
  • SMB Interior model (I love my current RB50 because of the fold-out bench)
  • SMB Accessories (no showers, no hot water, no toilet)

Or... consider something other than SMB?

Thank you

Old 06-01-2023, 03:14 PM   #2

Less than 10 years old means a 2014 if you want an Econoline. They quit making them after 2014 so that's gonna limit you unless you want a Sprinter.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Less than 10 years old means a 2014 if you want an Econoline. They quit making them after 2014 so that's gonna limit you unless you want a Sprinter.
If older than 2014, favored years?

Please let me know if I am wrong...
Most SMB Sprinters I have seen seem to cater to the VanLife crowd:
  • Low clearance
  • Lots of creature comforts
  • Paved campground destinations
  • Mercedes

At least with my Ford E-250 V8, I can travel anywhere in the United States and have it serviced. Yet, with a Mercedes Sprinter, service availability?

I had a Westfalia; its radiator pipe broke in the Tetons, and I could get down to Jackson Hole. Went to multiple repair shops in town, but only one mechanic said he could attempt to fix it if I could find the replacement part. Luckily I had a complete repair manual and could identify what specific part needed to be replaced. It took me 2 days of phone calls to find said $5 part. Another 2 days of waiting for a $5 part to arrive. Then another 2 days waiting for a mechanic to lift the van to replace the part. I was in a major town, Jackson Hole, and I had trouble getting my Westfalia fixed and I had to order a $5 part because I happen to carry the manual.

Mercedes Sprinter makes me highly nervous.

Especially since my destinations are far from major towns, the last thing I want to do is get towed (costing a fortune because AAA will only tow 100 miles before charging) to a city.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:03 PM   #4

We bought our SMB Sprinter from our local Freightliner dealership and then took it to SMB. Mercedes owns Freightliner. There are over 700 Freightliner service centers across the US and many of them are open weekends (including ours) for the truckers. Our local Freightliner Service Center has been great to work with and has given me fast appointments when I have taken mine in for fuel filters and service things that I don't want to do myself. I assume they will all work on Sprinters since they sell them.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #5

Affordable SMB Upgrade

Sprinters look nice (IMO) and drive really well. But I’d never buy one due to the maintenance costs and sparse dealer network. I met two different Sprinter owners when I drove to Alaska a few years ago that had major hassles with repairs. One guy had to limp a day or two back south (from Dawson Creek) to a dealer and wait several days for a part. Another had a similar experience but an even longer wait.

Anyways, if you’re looking to stay with an E-van I’d personally look for anything 2009 or above. AFAIK they didn’t really make many (any?) changes from then to 2014 when they stopped making the full van. The big refresh was in 2008, and I think 2009 saw a few more upgrades. I sold my 98 SMB and got a 2011 (in 2020) and it’s way nicer in lots of ways. Find a good low mileage one (mine had 65k when I bought it three years ago) and I’m sure you’ll be happy. My 2011 and 1998 were both 2wd and I’ve very rarely wished I had 4wd. (Aftermarket 4wd conversion just isn’t worth the hassled for my use case.)

If/when I buy another van it will probably be a Transit for cost and especially dealer network. I like the factory AWD option, too. I’ve driven the Promaster and hate the way it handles.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
We bought our SMB Sprinter from our local Freightliner dealership and then took it to SMB.
Thank you for your reply.

Please explain why after buying your SMB Sprinter you took it to SMB.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:30 PM   #7

https://www.fordupfits.com/recreatio...transit-trail/

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Please explain why after buying your SMB Sprinter you took it to SMB.
We bought our Sprinter from our local Freightliner dealer and then I took it to SMB North to have them do the RV conversion. SMB didn't care where we bought the van and this allowed us to establish a local dealer relationship.

We have had great luck with our Sprinter. I change my own oil so there has been very little maintenance cost. The 2 big advantages of the Sprinter for us have been the second alternator and the diesel Espar heater. Sprintesr have factory mounts for second alternators which are then easy to connect to the house battery system. I can recharge our house batteries with 15-30 min of driving which has eliminated any thought of our electrical needs. I can also heat the van almost endlessly from the diesel tank. I have a propane tank for hot water and cooking but I have only filled it every 3-4 years.

I might consider buying a Ford Transit for our next RV if I could outfit it similarly. If I was mostly concerned about reliability, my main priority would be to find the newest, lowest mileage, best maintained vehicle that I could afford and I would be less concerned with the brand. I have never had any major problems with all of the Fords, Chevy's, Mercedes and Toyota cars and vans that I have owned but I have never kept one longer than 10-12 years. I would not buy a 10-20 year old Sprinter (or anything else for that matter) especially if I planned to take it to remote areas like we do with our SMB but that is just me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:55 AM   #9

This one soon on the market

2010, like new. 56k miles. $85k
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1447.jpeg   IMG_1803.jpeg  
Lewgillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #10

Garage
Lewgillet, now that looks like a fantastic set-up with LOW miles.

Tags
purchase