Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

If your van allows passage from the vulnerable front doors & glass to the rear smaller items thieves look for won't be too safe unless they too are locked in something secure like a secured safe or vault, perhaps carefully located under the van?

I do hope you work this out Belieze----if you'd photograph your installation and perhaps a write-up as well I know others here would highly appreciate it.

TIA
Yes, I don't have a bulkhead between the front cab and the van rear so if someone gains entry to the front they will also have access to the rear. I did install a safe to keep my backup credit cards, copies of ID, laptop and camera gear safely stored. Even then if someone brought a portable angle grinder with them they can get access to the safe contents quickly enough.

It's all about deterrence and slowing thieves down with a number of obstacles. Along with the regular van locks I have an alarm system, the safe, and a dash cam that also monitors the inside and is connected via cellular. I also installed black out curtains that I can pull shut to hide the rear section of the van from the front. I figure they are less likely to break in if they don't see anything worth stealing.

I'll definitely document the deadlock installation and post photos and commentary to this forum. The YouTube videos by Sussex Installations makes it look straight forward, which matches what I'm seeing from the provided instructions.

grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
It's all about deterrence and slowing thieves down with a number of obstacles....
Security Window Film has also been discussed on several threads...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automoti...ons/security/#
Old 04-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Security Window Film has also been discussed on several threads...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automoti...ons/security/#
Sure, that’s another great obstacle to entry. I’m familiar with 3M security film as I used it on the sidelight windows beside my entry door of my house. Without it, it would have been easy for someone to break the sidelight window, reach in and unlock the door.

Definitely worth considering, but I already had my front side windows tinted with ceramic film for heat rejection. I’ll have to see if you can get security film with the heat rejection properties of ceramic film.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I ordered a set of deadbolts for my Sprinter from Sussex Installations in the UK. I got their T Series deadlocks made by Locks4Vans. I haven't had any luck in locating a place that is willing install them and I had contacted Locks4Vans to see if they had any known installers of their product in the US, but they told me they were unaware of any.

The good news is they do provide templates and great instructions on how to install their product and it honestly looks like something that any careful person should be able to do on their own.
I'd like to correct an early statement I made about the T-Series locks---I did not contact Sussex Installations but the manufacturer or supplier directly. They were the ones hesitating to sell to a DIY.

Just wanted to comment on these products----they're VERY impressive, so is Sussex Installations. I've done the DIY dead bolt install and the only real challenge I had was properly and accurately locking both elements of that type lock. Of course the kits I bought came with scant little installation direction but it seems the T-Series include very helpful instruction--a huge bonus I say.

I'd haunt Sussex Installation's YouTube pages for their how-to----its quite a shame no one here in the USA is offering these products and/or installing them.

Please document your installation as best you can---I know it would be interesting and helpful to others thinking of going this same route.

Adding it's very sad The Auto Bolt company is no longer responding to contact attempts. Their latest iteration of the original design would have been a very compact and "easy" install.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I'd like to correct an early statement I made about the T-Series locks---I did not contact Sussex Installations but the manufacturer or supplier directly. They were the ones hesitating to sell to a DIY.

Just wanted to comment on these products----they're VERY impressive, so is Sussex Installations. I've done the DIY dead bolt install and the only real challenge I had was properly and accurately locking both elements of that type lock. Of course the kits I bought came with scant little installation direction but it seems the T-Series include very helpful instruction--a huge bonus I say.

I'd haunt Sussex Installation's YouTube pages for their how-to----its quite a shame no one here in the USA is offering these products and/or installing them.

Please document your installation as best you can---I know it would be interesting and helpful to others thinking of going this same route.

Adding it's very sad The Auto Bolt company is no longer responding to contact attempts. Their latest iteration of the original design would have been a very compact and "easy" install.
Yeah, that makes sense since Locks4Vans is the manufacturer/distributer who usually prefer to deal with installers. That's why I went to Sussex Installations to place my order. I also wanted to throw them some business for all the great YouTube videos they have showing various details of the locks and their installation.

I'll definitely do my best to document the installation as I go.

Yes, I also wish that Auto Bolt was still a realistic option. I looked at them too, when I discovered that there were no known Locks4Vans installers in the US, but ultimately decided to order my deadlocks from the UK and do my own install.