Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #101
Site Team

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

KawikaCruiser:

Thanks for an opinion from a professional. This topic certainly has generated some interesting and varied responses.

Mac

Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #102

You're welcome - It's always a topic that brings out the passion in people - and believe me, I certainly get it. My job is to enforce the law evenly across the board - I do not let my personal feelings sway my decision making. There are few areas in California in which discretion is afforded to officers in the field when enforcing the law - most of which occurs in the field during traffic enforcement - basically I'm talking about infractions. There is a lot of language in the penal code that we as LEOs must abide by - such as Will and Shall - and there is no discretion plain and simple.

Believe me for every jerk officer there are 100+ very decent hard working personable cops out there
to protect and serve (if I may be so corny). Yep, it sucks to get a ticket, yeah there are some out there that seem robotic in their task so the human interaction goes away (like pleading for a warning), and yeah we're never around for the good things in life, but that's our job. No one calls us because life is running smoothly -

Anyway, i love this site - I like looking around as I'm working myself into getting an SMB at some point. I truly enjoy reading the experiences of the members and looking at their photos. I'm a IH8Mud site/forum member (96 Land cruiser expedition build) and I'm looking to incorporate the best of both worlds soon.

Thanks again
KawikaCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #103
Site Team

KawikaCruiser:

After the Rodney King riots in California I was asked by our local PD to ride with 30+ officers who had been identified as having the potential of creating similar problems as the LAPD officers did with Rodney King. Keep in mind that this is a very small percentage of the local police force. But I was shocked at how many of the 30 officers exhibited behavioral problems (e.g.: machismo, aggression, rudeness and out-and-out violence) while I was with them on patrol. One would think an officer, knowing I am evaluating him and have authority to suspend him, would be on his best behavior while in my presence. It just shows that some jerks are jerks no matter what the situation is around them.

Most LEOs are wonderful civil servants. Sadly, because of current conditions in this world, they must approach almost all situations as possible life-threatening and be hyper-cautious. This causes some officers to have such a defensive posture they can forget the human element of their work. My hat is off to all law enforcement personnel (and military) who serve our cities, states and country.

Regards,

Mac
Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #104

I always carry a weapon in the van. It's in a case and the clips are beside it. If I were asked by a LEO if there were any weapons in the vehicle I would always say yes. You aren't in real trouble until you lie. I have never been in a situation of being stopped by a LEO for anything so I haven't had to answer any questions......in this country. Jage is correct, asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.

I CAN tell you despite what their website and customer service people tell you......you cannot bring a firearm into Canada. I found out the hard way. I read everything I could find on the subject on the Canadian Firearms info website, specifically for BC. I was informed by a human being that with the proper documents I COULD bring a rifle...no handguns period. I downloaded all documents and completed them. Upon arrival in Sidney BC via the ferry from Anacortes I handed over passports and rabies certs(for the dog!) and my gun papers to the very nice Canadian Customs lady. She said it all looked in order but I would need to pull over next to the office and an agent would come out in a moment. 2 minutes later we were surrounded by 8 or 9 agents. I was advised I could not bring a rifle or any firearm into Canada unless I held a Canadian Firearms permit only issued to Canadians. I was questioned thouroughly for 30 minutes by 3 different agents.
I was advised I had 2 choices...get back on the ferry and leave Canada or surrender the rifle and continue my trip. I asked what would happen then and they said they destroy all illegal weapons. I was about to surrender the rifle(it was an inexpensive 22) when a supervisor came and said they would hold the rifle if I would give them 24hrs. notice prior to my leaving Sidney.
They were extremely cordial. I was very appreciative.
When I returned to pickup the gun it had to be handed to me by a US customs agent. He was not friendly. Welcome to America.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #105

Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

Crossing the boarder with a 22? A 22??? Dude, that was so 5 pages of posts ago. Pay attention, we've moved on to towed artillery. But, I'm guessing it might be worth a try just to see how many agents they could surround you with then... :-)
Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #106

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We carry when we are camping... .and when we are not camping..... this is Texas.

We use a GunVault micro. it is mountable or portable.

And the handguns are not the only protection to be found in McBeast.

I have not read the entire thread, but with the reciprocal state agreements and the Federal law that allows for transporting thru a non-carry state, I am not worried about having the handguns with use wherever we go.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #107
Site Team

I went ahead an acquired my Concealed Weapons Permit for Nevada, Utah and Florida. Those three permits allow me to carry a concealed weapon in 40+ states. I also acquired a small, instant access gun vault for my SMB and plan on keeping my handgun in there whenever I travel. I don't anticipate any problems with any LEO. I think it is obvious I'm not a bad guy -- just some old, bald, fat law abiding citizen.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I went ahead an acquired my Concealed Weapons Permit for Nevada, Utah and Florida.
How do you get them out of state? I have permanent "lifetime" CCW in Indiana and we just got our CHP Colorado, but I had to be a resident in Indiana (permanent just went into effect before we moved) and also in Colorado.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #109

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Some states allow testing remotely and some states require the course be taken in person.

Check your states reciprocal agreements, and you might be surprised where your CHL is valid.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #110
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I went ahead an acquired my Concealed Weapons Permit for Nevada, Utah and Florida.
How do you get them out of state? I have permanent "lifetime" CCW in Indiana and we just got our CHP Colorado, but I had to be a resident in Indiana (permanent just went into effect before we moved) and also in Colorado.
I took a CCW course in Nevada. That course qualified for Utah and Florida. I just had to send my certificate, fingerprint card, photo and money to Florida and Utah to get those permits. Florida covers 32 states, Utah covers 16 states (some overlapping) and Nevada just covers Nevada. What they didn't say in the course is whether Florida and Utah cover Nevada. I'll have to look that up. But since I had to take the course in Nevada anyway, it doesn't matter to me that I also have a Nevada permit. Might as well have the actual permit for the state in which I live.