Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #111

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

I like the idea of the micro gun vault and have considered purchasing one. In the State of South Carolina your CWP is only valid if your gun is on your person. Men can carry a gun with a CWP in a breifcase and ladies in a purse as long as it is located directly next to you while in your vehicle. If the purse/briefcase is located on the floorboard or backseat your CWP permit is not valid (and transporting there is also illegal). In our state the only two legal places to transport a firearm is in a latched/locked center counsol or a glove box, gun vault would apply. Are the laws similar in other states as far as carrying on your person? I think it is a good argument that you were doing the best possible thing by carrying in a locked gun vault and while traveling through SC you would be perfectly legal but your CWP wouldnt have anything to do with it.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #112
Site Team

SCBrian:

The same is true in Nevada. A Concealed Weapons Permit only applies when a weapon is concealed on the person, in a purse or in a briefcase. Interestingly, if the weapon can be seen (e.g.: when one lifts his/her arms it reveals the gun) the weapon is no longer concealed and the person can be arrested for "flashing a weapon in public." However, if the weapon is in plain view in a holster, it can be carried in Nevada. Weird law: concealed but visible = illegal; not concealed and visible = legal; concealed, not visible, with permit = legal.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #113

I like the idea of the micro vault and plan on getting one for this purpose. How did you mount yours and where? Both my seats swivel so not much room under the front seats. Did you bolt it to the floor, cabinet? I also see you can attach the vault via cable to something.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Some states allow testing remotely and some states require the course be taken in person.

Check your states reciprocal agreements, and you might be surprised where your CHL is valid.
Also, some states limit reciprosity to exclude non-resident permits from other states. For example, Colorado has reciprosity with Utah, but only for Utah residents with permits. I'm a WA resident with a CPL, and I could get a Utah non-resident permit easily, but neither are valid in CO.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

Bottom line is you need to know each state's law.

For example, you can have a gun in your car in CO for self defense, no permit required, as it is not considered "concealed" when in a vehicle.

There is no umbrella law that says you can keep a gun in your van when camping or parked because it is your home. Now, it certainly might change the way a jury looks at your case, but I wouldn't count on it.

Here's a really helpful summary:
http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

You can also check out the state specific summaries on that site.

http://handgunlaw.us

If I'm in a remote area, would I have a handgun with me? Sure. It isn't a tool that is going to solve every problem you can encounter. I now carry pepper spray (Kimber Pepper Blaster II) with me pretty much wherever I go, on the advice of several handgun training courses I have been on. "No one was ever put in jail for pepper spraying a bad guy and running away."

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #115
Site Team

Thanks ANZAC. Very helpful post!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #116

Best post yet on this subject
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #117
Site Team

I think I've found a weapon that may be better than a handgun, and more powerful. I just bought a green laser that I thought would work well as a signal in case of an emergency if I ever were stranded somewhere. It is the kind that should never be pointed at an aircraft. And now I know why. Just shining the laser on a wall and looking at the dot on the wall hurts; let alone if it was shown directly in one's eyes. It appears the laser could blind a person very easily. Consequently, just a quick flash in a bad guy's eyes might disable him enough without having to resort to possible lethal force.

Here is the laser I bought: http://www.amazon.com/100mW-532nm-Astro ... 731&sr=8-1

I haven't tried the laser yet at night, but it is supposed to make a bright laser beam at night. I figured in an emergency situation I could send out a beam (not directed at anyone) and they could follow the beam to where I am. This would particularly prove helpful if one were injured and unable to move. If the guy who was stuck in the slot canyon on the San Juan River had had one of these, he could have signaled out and wouldn't have had to cut off his arm.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #118

Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhare
Back to the original question,yes we always carry a handgun while camping or traveling.When traveling in California we just keep it out of sight.Remember it is better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.
I like that.
Kind of like what Col. Potter said one time: never insult 7 men when all you are packing is a 6 shooter.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #119

If you are concerned about being stranded out in the wilderness, carry a PLB.
http://www.equipped.com/faq_plb/default.asp

A laser can do permanent damage; if you are looking for a non-lethal option:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

I carry one in the car and one in the house.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

I've also carried a Glock for all the times I've lived and traveled in Baja. I know all the rules and have a place in the van that just can't be found. (No I won't mention where it is cause then the word is out)
It's probably easy enough to hide the gun, but what about all the ammo? Seriously, if you pull a gun in Mexico (let alone use it), you better be willing to fight your way all the way back to the border. You're probably not going to see the light of day otherwise. So you're probably not going to be able to hide all the ammo you'd effectively need, and the ammo is just as illegal as the gun.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote