Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
this type of post has been around before, and I want to personally thank and re-offer my serious condolences and apologies (for the worst of life exp) to our members who've lived through experiences we all wish we will never have to be faced with let alone think about...Re-sharing your experiences helps us all immensely and and opens the door to a 'real' empathetic thought process that (again) we all would never want to live through but must be thought of when asking yourself do i/we carry.

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

The type of gun depends on whether you're trying to conceal carry or have stored in your van/home.

If you plan to get your CCW and have a firearm on you, then a compact handgun will be your go to. If you plan to leave it stored in your van/home, then a full size handgun or shotgun are the guns of choice.

Does WA allow standard capacity magazines? Here in CA, we're limited to 10 rounds in handguns (with a few exceptions). Standard capacity is usually 15+ rounds in a full size hand gun.

As someone mentioned earlier, you should go to your local shop/range and rent a few different models to see what feels best for you. I personally like the Smith and Wesson M&P series guns as they come with a few different grips for small to large hands. The glocks that I shot were a little bulky feeling in my hands.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #13

To the OP. Why are you considering getting a firearm for your trip, yet you have never felt compelled to have one previously. In my opinion in the city your much more apt to have an issue.
Use caution and be alert no matter where you are, that is the best defense.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #14

There’s little I can add to the responses above, but a couple thoughts come to mind. First, long guns are far easier to legally carry in most places but are unwieldy in the close confines of a van and are more prone to theft in an unoccupied van. Handguns are far more complicated to carry legally. Obtaining a concealed carry permit makes it easier to do so legally, but every state has different laws and it gets complicated quickly. A permit from Arizona is honored in numerous states and may now be available on line. A Washington state permit is far more limited, but it’s honored in a few states and is easily available locally. Neither will be useful in Oregon, or California. Actually, I think it’s best to avoid California completely if possible, as carrying a firearm into California legally is nearly impossible. So, knowing what states you plan to visit will allow you to research the individual laws and should assist in deciding what works for you. As for dogs and bear spray, they are legal everywhere, but not for everyone.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #15

Thank you for all of these thoughtful responses. It gives me a lot to ponder, and my knee jerk reaction to the basic question "Do I WANT to own a gun?", the answer is a resounding "no". I think that reading so many stories during my research on this forum got me a bit spooked. So I looked into a local shooting range and they have a TON of female specific self defense classes that do not include guns, and I will start with those. IF, after traveling, I feel I might want/need to have extra protection, they offer more advanced classes that introduce firearms. I will proceed with common sense, gut feelings, and the non-lethal tools I currently have. And as for dog protection, I agree, it would be nice to have a cane corso....but I have a golden retriever .
PNWschusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
To the OP. Why are you considering getting a firearm for your trip, yet you have never felt compelled to have one previously. In my opinion in the city your much more apt to have an issue.
Use caution and be alert no matter where you are, that is the best defense.
I live in a very safe town. Lots of mountain bike and car break-ins, that's about it.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #17

I love this forum and group/ our community. Very educational and honest discussion. Thank you.

Stay safe !
Old 01-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I have a somewhat unique perspective on this having had to defend myself against a burglar who'd assaulted my first wife with a fatal gunshot. At the time I was just about 5 years separated from the USMC, was fairly skilled in handgun usage but never thought I'd have to use lethal force defending myself. Its NOT an easy thing to do so do be advised as already suggested here if you're not willing and mentally prepared to use lethal force a gun is NOT for you!
Oh my God, I'm SO incredibly sorry. That is heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
Thank you for all of these thoughtful responses. It gives me a lot to ponder, and my knee jerk reaction to the basic question "Do I WANT to own a gun?", the answer is a resounding "no". I think that reading so many stories during my research on this forum got me a bit spooked. So I looked into a local shooting range and they have a TON of female specific self defense classes that do not include guns, and I will start with those. IF, after traveling, I feel I might want/need to have extra protection, they offer more advanced classes that introduce firearms. I will proceed with common sense, gut feelings, and the non-lethal tools I currently have. And as for dog protection, I agree, it would be nice to have a cane corso....but I have a golden retriever .
And that's the perfect choice for YOU at this moment in time----congratulations for taking a well measured approach to your question or concern.

I do wish you nothing but safe solo journey's forever!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #20

All above is very good input. I will say that on my motorcycle trips I carry a .38 small wheel gun/revolver for simplicity. You pull the trigger, it goes bang. With a semi-auto, if you don't carry a round in the chamber (which can be illegal in some states) you will have to cock the gun and chamber a round which could be too long to be able to fire the weapon.

In the van I usually have a 9mm semi auto with a hammer rather than a striker fired gun. Just me and I don't feel like having a chambered striker gun. Too easy to have an unintentional discharge. Others may disagree but I got rid of my striker guns and now have only hammer fired guns. Hope to never use one in self defense but there are times that make you feel pretty creeped out. Take some lessons and get the CCW permit and watch it in CA. You can travel through CA but you need to know the gun better be stored out of reach and unloaded. Ammo/magazines in another location.

In the words of Polk County Florida sheriff Grady Judd... if someone breaks into your house, shoot 'em and shoot 'em a lot. pew pew