Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
I will say that while the 270 awnings are advertised as free standing, the instructions say that you need to use a minimum number of poles. Mine, being a 270, has 3 poles attached to the awning arms that you need to use. It includes another 3 to use if possible. I've had mine open in 5mph winds and it moved a lot more than I'm comfortable with. And I have a very, very stout rack. But the leverage and area of the awning is unmatched.

Full disclosure. I removed my rack and sold it and the awning is being moved to an enclosed trailer for MTBs. I liked the sized of the awning for camp, but never opened it while out and about. So IMHO it works best on a trailer that might be staying stationary for a while. I find most awnings are a balance of annoying and useful. I certainly like the way a Fiama mounts to the van sans rack and that will probably be in our future, after a long list of other things.
Okay so assuming I cannot manage a self supporting option, There really doesn't seem to be compelling reason to not stick with my 12x12 tarp rig. I am not going to do an EZ Up as they are way too bulky, heavy and flimsy. I suspect not having a roof rack and not wanting to interfere with the function of the penthouse roof seriously limits my options... Especially with the sliding door on the van...

That is okay, no big worries..

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:03 PM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I use two REI Beach tents...take up almost no room to store, flexible applications...best of all very inexpensive...under $200
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
Okay so assuming I cannot manage a self supporting option, There really doesn't seem to be compelling reason to not stick with my 12x12 tarp rig...

I have used tarps, EZ ups, assembly required awnings like the ARB, and nicer ones like the Fiama.

I have 3 Fiamas now, one for each rig.
They are so easy and quick to set up that I use them much more than the other options. Sometimes I just crank them 1/2 way out for a little shade over the door when we stop for a sandwich or pee break.

Any other option I would not/don't bother setting up as it's too much hassle if your not staying overnight.
I have even relocated my van a short distance (100-200 yrds) with the awning deployed and support legs clicked into the bases on the side of the van.

Now, thanks to @86scotty, I am looking at an OVS 180 LTE to go on the back of a van.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote